-   -   What does means " ...." in the subject ? ... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/580213-what-does-means-slightly-ot-subject.html)

Jaime Jaramillo 09-26-2011 01:52 PM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

Sorry for the questions Im newbie, *but: What does means "Re: <slightly OT>...." in the subject*?.
thank you*

J3*

"compdoc" 09-26-2011 01:56 PM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

OT means Off Topic, which means the conversation is about something not related to Ubuntu support.
*
"Slighty OT" is just a person being clever with the subject line, but it still means OT.
*
*
*

Gilles Gravier 09-26-2011 01:56 PM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

Hi!

On 26/09/2011 15:52, Jaime Jaramillo wrote:

> Sorry for the questions Im newbie, but: What does means "Re:
> <slightly OT>...." in the subject ?.
>
> thank you

OT means "Off Topic". It's a way of saying "I know what I'm posting
doesn't really fit within the charter of this list, but I'm still
posting it, because - probably - I think it still interests most people
here."...

Of course some times it just means "I don't care that it's not the topic
for this list, I just wanted to say it. Here." :)

Gilles.

Liam Proven 09-26-2011 01:58 PM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

On 26 September 2011 14:52, Jaime Jaramillo
<jaimejaramillo568@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the questions I´m newbie, *but: What does means "Re: <slightly
> OT>...." in the subject*?.
> thank you

Re means "about" or "concerning"; it is normal put on the beginning of
the suject of email replies. Short for the Latin phrase "in rē".

OT means "off topic".

Slightly means it's not /entirely/ off-topic. :¬)

Ric Moore 09-27-2011 03:50 AM

On 09/26/2011 09:58 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 26 September 2011 14:52, Jaime Jaramillo
<jaimejaramillo568@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sorry for the questions I´m newbie, but: What does means "Re:<slightly
OT>...." in the subject ?.
thank you

Re means "about" or "concerning"; it is normal put on the beginning of
the suject of email replies. Short for the Latin phrase "in rē".

OT means "off topic".

Slightly means it's not /entirely/ off-topic. :¬)

<OT> would be to jabber on about the rain in the plains of Spain.
<slightly OT> would be to jabber about using Ubuntu at a Meteorological
station, located at a plain in Spain. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Goh Lip 09-27-2011 04:19 AM

--

Anything from Ric should be labeled <Ha Ha> :)
Regards - Goh Lip

chris 09-27-2011 05:37 AM

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 12:19 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 27/09/11 11:50, Ric Moore wrote:
> > <OT> would be to jabber on about the rain in the plains of Spain.
> > <slightly OT> would be to jabber about using Ubuntu at a Meteorological
> > station, located at a plain in Spain. :) Ric
> > --
>
> Anything from Ric should be labeled <Ha Ha> :)
> Regards - Goh Lip

and medium off topic. :-)

Basil Chupin 09-27-2011 05:59 AM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

<OT> would be to jabber on about the rain in the plains of Spain.
<slightly OT> would be to jabber about using Ubuntu at a Meteorological
station, located at a plain in Spain. :) Ric
--

Anything from Ric should be labeled<Ha Ha> :)
Regards - Goh Lip

and medium off topic. :-)

How can you say this? We don't have "topics". We have "threads".

And don't forget the saying, "A thread in time saves nine". Nobody has
ever said, "A topic in time saves nine" have they, eh? (well, maybe in
NZ they may say this....).

:-)

BC

--
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
Sir Winston Churchill

Jared Norris 09-27-2011 08:48 AM

What does means " ...." in the subject ? ...

On 26 September 2011 23:52, Jaime Jaramillo
<jaimejaramillo568@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the questions Im newbie, *but: What does means "Re: <slightly
> OT>...." in the subject*?.
> thank you
>
> J3
> --

To put it simply, <OT> means the email is off topic and is an
admission from those who use it that they really shouldn't be emailing
the list with whatever the topic of the email is going to be about.

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Alan Pope 09-27-2011 08:56 AM

On 27 September 2011 09:48, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:
> To put it simply, <OT> means the email is off topic and is an
> admission from those who use it that they really shouldn't be emailing
> the list with whatever the topic of the email is going to be about.

Best. Description. Ever.

:D

Al.