-   -   asking for login name on install (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/580168-asking-login-name-install.html)

"G. " 09-26-2011 11:58 AM

asking for login name on install

I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. When I I try
the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
a login name. I have no idea what login name to use. I have
installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. I
checked the disk for defects. This happens whether I use a USB or CD
that I burned. I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.

Any ideas?

thanks

garyk

"G. " 09-26-2011 12:13 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks
>

> garyk

Correction, it is asking for a username. It does this also when I
just try to install.

garyk

Alan Pope 09-26-2011 12:22 PM

On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>
> Any ideas?

Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
again.

Al.

"G. " 09-26-2011 12:37 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
>> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
>> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
>> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
>> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
>> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
> no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
> again.
>
> Al.

thanks will give it a try!

"G. " 09-26-2011 12:42 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
>>> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
>>> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
>>> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
>>> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
>>> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
>> no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
>> again.
>>
>> Al.
>>
>> --
>>

> thanks will give it a try!

When I try to install it says general error mounting file systems

"G. " 09-26-2011 12:47 PM

asking for login name on install

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
>> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
>> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
>> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
>> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
>> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
> no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
> again
>
> Al.

This is a live cd/usb. Tried both with same problem.

garyk

"G. " 09-26-2011 01:25 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
>>> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
>>> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
>>> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
>>> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
>>> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
>> no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
>> again
>>
>> Al.
>>
>> --
>>

> This is a live cd/usb. *Tried both with same problem.
>
> garyk

After it asked for a login name I entered ubuntu, then it asked for a
password, ubuntu there did not work.

Colin Law 09-26-2011 01:38 PM

On 26 September 2011 14:25, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is this a live CD/USB you're booting to? If so then try "ubuntu" with
>>> no password, or leave the logon screen alone, it should autologin
>>> again
>>>
>>> Al.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> This is a live cd/usb. *Tried both with same problem.
>>
>> garyk
>>

> After it asked for a login name I entered ubuntu, then it asked for a
> password, *ubuntu there did not work.

Alan suggested name ubuntu with no password.

Colin

"G. " 09-26-2011 01:43 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 14:25, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is a live cd/usb. *Tried both with same problem.
>>>
>>> garyk
>>>

>> After it asked for a login name I entered ubuntu, then it asked for a
>> password, *ubuntu there did not work.
>
> Alan suggested name ubuntu with no password.
>
> Colin

I neglected to mention that I tried that too. Tried doing nothing at
all for 10 minutes. Nothing happened.

Thanks

garyk

"compdoc" 09-26-2011 01:49 PM

asking for login name on install

>When I try the program to see if things work I get a
>login screen which asks for a login name.

Which program do you try?

When you install Ubuntu, it asks for a username and password of a user as
part of the process. Are you entering a password for this user, or leaving
it blank?