Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Ric Moore

Default asking for login name on install

On 09/27/2011 03:40 AM, Gary wrote:

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:04 -0700, NoOp wrote:

On 09/26/2011 08:53 AM, G. wrote:

Sorry about the ambiguities.

I booted from a live cd with Ubuntu Natty- I used Startup Disk Creator
to make the usb and CD (I tried both ways).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did the following: 1)
trying ubuntu without installing. It took me to the previously
referenced login screen. I tried Alan's suggestions without success.
2) I tried to install ubuntu. Same results. I tried Alan's
suggestions without success. I would in both cases get a login screen
asking for a login name and then it asked for a password.

Try your own username and password.

Tried that to no avail, owner did not have any in use. When I ran
ubuntu onmy computer there was no problem whatsoever. Must have
something to do with her computer.

Gary, you did the install to "her" computer, and didn't set a user
account during the install?? I don't think you can go into terminal mode
and login as root, with no password, since that ain't allowed by
default. I have no clue what going to runlevel 1, on the old RedHat
scheme of things, equals to in Ubuntu, but that would get you in as root
and no password at all. Maybe someone knows. It's that or re-install
being careful to make the initial user account. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html