Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Colin Law

Default asking for login name on install

On 26 September 2011 14:43, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> After it asked for a login name I entered ubuntu, then it asked for a
>>> password, *ubuntu there did not work.
>>
>> Alan suggested name ubuntu with no password.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>>

> I neglected to mention that I tried that too. * Tried doing nothing at
> all for 10 minutes. *Nothing happened.

'No password' does not mean wait without doing anything, it means
hitting enter without typing a password.

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Bill Stanley

< snip >

I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. When I I try
the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
a login name. I have no idea what login name to use. I have
installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. I
checked the disk for defects. This happens whether I use a USB or CD
that I burned. I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.

< snip >

When I try to install it says general error mounting file systems

I'm not an expert on such matters but you said "I am trying to install
Natty on an older Acer desktop". Maybe the hard drive is getting ready
to die (or already is unusable) ? Is there any way of checking the
integrity od the hard drive before installation?

Bill Stanley

Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Colin Law

On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop. *When I I try
> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
> a login name. *I have no idea what login name to use. *I have
> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen. *I
> checked the disk for defects. *This happens whether I use a USB or CD
> that I burned. *I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.

I think there is confusion about exactly when you get the login
screen. Could you describe in detail what you are doing and when you
get the login prompt? For example it is not clear whether it is when
you are booting off the CD or starting the install itself or after the
install or what.

Please do not just say that it is when booting off CD, give us more
detail about what happens.

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Nicolas Kovacs

>>> After it asked for a login name I entered ubuntu, then it asked for a
>>> password, ubuntu there did not work.
>>
>> Alan suggested name ubuntu with no password.
>>
>> Colin
>
> I neglected to mention that I tried that too. Tried doing nothing at
> all for 10 minutes. Nothing happened.

Try just hitting the 'Enter' key at both:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#Logging_in

I'd also recommend running the check cd & memtest options at the start menu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

On other versions I seem to recall folks getting this prompt when they
didn't have enough memory or needed to set boot options due to other
hardware issues.

Also be sure to check the release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
"G. "

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Nicolas Kovacs <info@microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Le 26/09/2011 15:43, G. a écrit :
>>
>> Tried doing nothing at
>> all for 10 minutes. *Nothing happened.
>
> Same here )
>
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques 100% Linux et logiciels libres
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Web *: http://www.microlinux.fr
> Mail : info@microlinux.fr
> Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

Sorry about the ambiguities.

I booted from a live cd with Ubuntu Natty- I used Startup Disk Creator
to make the usb and CD (I tried both ways). I did the following: 1)
trying ubuntu without installing. It took me to the previously
referenced login screen. I tried Alan's suggestions without success.
2) I tried to install ubuntu. Same results. I tried Alan's
suggestions without success. I would in both cases get a login screen
asking for a login name and then it asked for a password.

Perhaps this clears up the matter?

gary

Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
"G. "

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 06:43 AM, G. wrote:

>>> Alan suggested name ubuntu with no password.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> I neglected to mention that I tried that too. * Tried doing nothing at
>> all for 10 minutes. *Nothing happened.
>
> Try just hitting the 'Enter' key at both:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#Logging_in
>
> I'd also recommend running the check cd & memtest options at the start menu:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions
>
> On other versions I seem to recall folks getting this prompt when they
> didn't have enough memory or needed to set boot options due to other
> hardware issues.
>
> Also be sure to check the release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

I tried just hitting enter at both. No luck. I checked the cd and
usb for errors, none found. They both seemed to boot up and run fine
on my machine. I will run the memtest next time. It runs Vista,
slowly but runs it, so it should have enough memory.

thanks

garyk

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 08:53 AM, G. wrote:
> Sorry about the ambiguities.
>
> I booted from a live cd with Ubuntu Natty- I used Startup Disk Creator
> to make the usb and CD (I tried both ways).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I did the following: 1)
> trying ubuntu without installing. It took me to the previously
> referenced login screen. I tried Alan's suggestions without success.
> 2) I tried to install ubuntu. Same results. I tried Alan's
> suggestions without success. I would in both cases get a login screen
> asking for a login name and then it asked for a password.

Try your own username and password.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Colin Law

On 26 September 2011 16:53, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I booted from a live cd with Ubuntu Natty- I used Startup Disk Creator
> to make the usb and CD (I tried both ways).

Do you mean you are not using a downloaded live CD but one you have
made? If so I suggest downloading it and trying that.

Colin

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Gary

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:04 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 08:53 AM, G. wrote:
> > Sorry about the ambiguities.
> >
> > I booted from a live cd with Ubuntu Natty- I used Startup Disk Creator
> > to make the usb and CD (I tried both ways).
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I did the following: 1)
> > trying ubuntu without installing. It took me to the previously
> > referenced login screen. I tried Alan's suggestions without success.
> > 2) I tried to install ubuntu. Same results. I tried Alan's
> > suggestions without success. I would in both cases get a login screen
> > asking for a login name and then it asked for a password.
>
> Try your own username and password.

Tried that to no avail, owner did not have any in use. When I ran
ubuntu onmy computer there was no problem whatsoever. Must have
something to do with her computer.

garyk