Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Hernan Saltiel

Default VLC image - voice delay

Hi!After upgrading Ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 (32 bits), VLC is starting to have some strange behavior, slowing down images over voices.The, when I see an Xvid video that before the upgrade worked, it has a little delay. It's annoying to see a movie or a music clip and know that an actor says something and a second after that the voice says what he said a second ago...
Please, let me know if there is some workaround for this.Thanks a lot for your time and attention.Best regards,
--
HeCSa

Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Ric Moore

After upgrading Ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 (32 bits), VLC is starting to
have some strange behavior, slowing down images over voices.
The, when I see an Xvid video that before the upgrade worked, it has a
little delay. It's annoying to see a movie or a music clip and know that an
actor says something and a second after that the voice says what he said a
second ago...
Please, let me know if there is some workaround for this.
Thanks a lot for your time and attention.
Best regards,

I experienced that after ripping a DVD to an iso file to my harddrive.
When VLC played it back, the sound was ~slightly~ delayed, enough to be
annoying. So, I tried a different ripper. I used handbrake and ripped it
to an mp4 file. Plays just peachy.

I didn't thing such a tried and true multimedia app like VLC would just
fold up on me. Turns out it didn't, it was the quality of the file I was
playing back that didn't have the sound synced properly to the video.

YMMV though, is it doing that to ALL of your files or just a few?
Store-bought or homegrown? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Hernan Saltiel

[...]

Hi Ric!This is happening with most of my AVI files.*The same files were working great with VLC just before the upgrade.
I think it's solved now...I tried with Banshee, and it worked. Then I tried again with VLC, and it worked not. Then I rebooted, and now everything is working just fine.Mysteries of life...Thanks!
Best regards,
HeCSa.*

Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Which vlc are you running - the one from ubuntu repos or the one from
videolan itself? I have always had problems (eg, with vlc not even
working) with the ubuntu vlc. Go to videolan.org and use the 1-click
install and install their version.

BC

--
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
Sir Winston Churchill

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 AM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 06:21 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/09/11 09:21, Hernan Saltiel wrote:
>> Hi Ric!
>> This is happening with most of my AVI files.
>> The same files were working great with VLC just before the upgrade.
>> I think it's solved now...I tried with Banshee, and it worked. Then I
>> tried again with VLC, and it worked not. Then I rebooted, and now
>> everything is working just fine.
>> Mysteries of life...
>> Thanks!
>> Best regards,
>>
>> HeCSa.
>>

> Which vlc are you running - the one from ubuntu repos or the one from
> videolan itself? I have always had problems (eg, with vlc not even
> working) with the ubuntu vlc. Go to videolan.org and use the 1-click
> install and install their version.
>
> BC

Why? VLC (natty and maverick from the repos) works just fine for me:
$ apt-cache policy vlc
vlc:
Installed: 1.1.9-1ubuntu1.3
Candidate: 1.1.9-1ubuntu1.3
Version table:
*** 1.1.9-1ubuntu1.3 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates/universe
i386 Packages
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-security/universe
i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1.1.9-1ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe i386
Packages

$ apt-cache policy vlc
vlc:
Installed: 1.1.4-1ubuntu1.7
Candidate: 1.1.4-1ubuntu1.7
Version table:
*** 1.1.4-1ubuntu1.7 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/universe
i386 Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
maverick-security/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1.1.4-1ubuntu1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
Packages

Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Ric Moore

This is happening with most of my AVI files.
The same files were working great with VLC just before the upgrade.
I think it's solved now...I tried with Banshee, and it worked. Then I tried
again with VLC, and it worked not. Then I rebooted, and now everything is
working just fine.
Mysteries of life...
Thanks!
Best regards,

HeCSa.

Try that with Windows! Sometimes Linux just fixes itself. I love it.
Congrats! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Basil Chupin

This is happening with most of my AVI files.
The same files were working great with VLC just before the upgrade.
I think it's solved now...I tried with Banshee, and it worked. Then I
tried again with VLC, and it worked not. Then I rebooted, and now
everything is working just fine.
Mysteries of life...
Thanks!
Best regards,

HeCSa.

Which vlc are you running - the one from ubuntu repos or the one from
videolan itself? I have always had problems (eg, with vlc not even
working) with the ubuntu vlc. Go to videolan.org and use the 1-click
install and install their version.

BC

Why?

Simple. It just didn't work for me. I think that I may have mentioned
this already many months ago and was it suggested that I install the
version from videolan.org.

VLC (natty and maverick from the repos) works just fine for me:
$ apt-cache policy vlc

Perhaps we have different needs. I use it 99% of the time to watch
digital television and 1% to watch DVDs.

The other "perhaps" is that the repos finally caught up with the latest
and now have same version as videolan.org.

Who knows? The world works in a mysterious way :-) .

BC

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Bruce Pieterse

On Sep 26, 2011 11:27 AM, "Ric Moore" <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/26/2011 12:05 AM, Hernan Saltiel wrote:

>> Hi!

>> After upgrading Ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 (32 bits), VLC is starting to

>> have some strange behavior, slowing down images over voices.

>> The, when I see an Xvid video that before the upgrade worked, it has a

>> little delay. It's annoying to see a movie or a music clip and know that an

>> actor says something and a second after that the voice says what he said a

>> second ago...

>> Please, let me know if there is some workaround for this.

>> Thanks a lot for your time and attention.

>> Best regards,

> I experienced that after ripping a DVD to an iso file to my harddrive. When VLC played it back, the sound was ~slightly~ delayed, enough to be annoying. So, I tried a different ripper. I used handbrake and ripped it to an mp4 file. Plays just peachy.

> I didn't thing such a tried and true multimedia app like VLC would just fold up on me. Turns out it didn't, it was the quality of the file I was playing back that didn't have the sound synced properly to the video.

> YMMV though, is it doing that to ALL of your files or just a few? Store-bought or homegrown? Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Hi

I have to agree with Ric. There is an option under the audio section which allows you to alter the delay of the audio.