Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Default U11.10 Screen Refresh Rate

Hi

How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
permanently? I read some suggesting changing a startup script and
using xrandr to switch while others suggested using xorg.conf, which
is not present and I do not wish to use for purist sake. Are there
more ways to change rates?

Does X detect the optimal rates (with a + sign) every time it starts
or does it use a preconfigured source?

In U11.04, I note that the Monitor Setting GUI has an option to
configure the rate. Does it use xrandr in a startup script to set it
too?

--------
$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0
* 1280x1024 * * *60.0*+ * 75.0
* 1280x960 * * * 60.0
* 1152x864 * * * 75.0
--------

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Colin Law

On 25 September 2011 19:54, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
> permanently? I read some suggesting changing a startup script and
> using xrandr to switch while others suggested using xorg.conf, which
> is not present and I do not wish to use for purist sake. Are there
> more ways to change rates?
>
> Does X detect the optimal rates (with a + sign) every time it starts
> or does it use a preconfigured source?
>
> In U11.04, I note that the Monitor Setting GUI has an option to
> configure the rate. Does it use xrandr in a startup script to set it
> too?

11.10 has the monitor settings GUI also to do this. In System
Settings > Monitors I think, or it may be Screens or Displays I forget
which.

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
NoOp

On 09/25/2011 12:28 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 25 September 2011 19:54, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
>> permanently? I read some suggesting changing a startup script and
>> using xrandr to switch while others suggested using xorg.conf, which
>> is not present and I do not wish to use for purist sake. Are there
>> more ways to change rates?
>>
>> Does X detect the optimal rates (with a + sign) every time it starts
>> or does it use a preconfigured source?
>>
>> In U11.04, I note that the Monitor Setting GUI has an option to
>> configure the rate. Does it use xrandr in a startup script to set it
>> too?
>
> 11.10 has the monitor settings GUI also to do this. In System
> Settings > Monitors I think, or it may be Screens or Displays I forget
> which.

Actually 11.10 does not (at least not in the most recently updated
(today) version that I use for testing in VirtualBox. The only settings are:
- Resolution
- Rotation
Does yours show something different?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Ric Moore

How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
permanently?

It would be handy to know what kind of video card/chipset you have. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Colin Law

On 26 September 2011 01:19, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 12:28 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 25 September 2011 19:54, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> How do I go about changing my refresh rate, from 60 to 75,
>>> permanently? I read some suggesting changing a startup script and
>>> using xrandr to switch while others suggested using xorg.conf, which
>>> is not present and I do not wish to use for purist sake. Are there
>>> more ways to change rates?
>>>
>>> Does X detect the optimal rates (with a + sign) every time it starts
>>> or does it use a preconfigured source?
>>>
>>> In U11.04, I note that the Monitor Setting GUI has an option to
>>> configure the rate. Does it use xrandr in a startup script to set it
>>> too?
>>
>> 11.10 has the monitor settings GUI also to do this. *In System
>> Settings > Monitors I think, or it may be Screens or Displays I forget
>> which.
>
> Actually 11.10 does not (at least not in the most recently updated
> (today) version that I use for testing in VirtualBox. The only settings are:
> - Resolution
> - Rotation
> Does yours show something different?

No you are right, it is not there (not now anyway). Strictly my
statement could be interpreted as correct if read in the sense that
11.10 does have the monitor settings gui and one of the purposes of
this is to set the refresh rate, the fact that it does not appear is
presumably a bug. I was sure I had seen it there but probably I was
confused about which version I was booted into at the time.

@OP: I have had a look in launchpad and cannot find it reported as a
bug (though NoOp seems much better than I at finding bugs there so he
might have more luck) so I suggest reporting it.

Of course it is possible that this is a case of the s/w designers
deciding that they know best how to determine the optimum refresh rate
and have decided not to give us easy access to it. I must admit that
it is a long time since I had to manually tweak this myself.

@OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> --------
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024
> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0
> 1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
> 1280x960 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0
> --------

> @OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?

I found that higher rate is better for me visually. From my xrandr
output above, my ATI card can support 75Hz rate but its running at 60
now. Indeed, I can xrandr it to 75 now but the setting would be gone
on the next reboot.

By the way, any suggestion on which startup script would be best to
place the xrandr command, ie. rc.local, Xsession, etc?

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Colin Law

On 26 September 2011 10:12, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

>> --------
>> $ xrandr
>> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024
>> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0
>> * 1280x1024 * * *60.0*+ * 75.0
>> * 1280x960 * * * 60.0
>> * 1152x864 * * * 75.0
>> --------
>
>> @OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?
>
> I found that higher rate is better for me visually. From my xrandr
> output above, my ATI card can support 75Hz rate but its running at 60
> now. Indeed, I can xrandr it to 75 now but the setting would be gone
> on the next reboot.
>
> By the way, any suggestion on which startup script would be best to
> place the xrandr command, ie. rc.local, Xsession, etc?

I would initially file a bug and hope that there may be a solution
before release, rather than trying to find a workaround which may be
redundant in a few weeks. If you have a command line fix then for the
moment just run it in Startup Applications.

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 02:12 AM, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> Hi

>> --------
>> $ xrandr
>> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024
>> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0
>> 1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
>> 1280x960 60.0
>> 1152x864 75.0
>> --------
>
>> @OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?
>
> I found that higher rate is better for me visually. From my xrandr
> output above, my ATI card can support 75Hz rate but its running at 60
> now. Indeed, I can xrandr it to 75 now but the setting would be gone
> on the next reboot.
>
> By the way, any suggestion on which startup script would be best to
> place the xrandr command, ie. rc.local, Xsession, etc?

Found this:
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/59621/how-to-change-the-monitors-refresh-rate>

Seems pretty odd that you'd have to install ccm in order to change the
refresh rate.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

>>> --------
>>> $ xrandr
>>> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024
>>> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0
>>> * 1280x1024 * * *60.0*+ * 75.0
>>> * 1280x960 * * * 60.0
>>> * 1152x864 * * * 75.0
>>> --------
>>
>>> @OP again, out of interest why do you want to change the rate?
>>
>> I found that higher rate is better for me visually. From my xrandr
>> output above, my ATI card can support 75Hz rate but its running at 60
>> now. Indeed, I can xrandr it to 75 now but the setting would be gone
>> on the next reboot.
>>
>> By the way, any suggestion on which startup script would be best to
>> place the xrandr command, ie. rc.local, Xsession, etc?
>

> Found this:
> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/59621/how-to-change-the-monitors-refresh-rate>
>
> Seems pretty odd that you'd have to install ccm in order to change the
> refresh rate.

Unfortunately, I am unable run xrandr during boot time. I tried
placing the command (with absolute path) in .profile, Xsession,
rc.local, other dozens of startup scripts and yet it would not run.
Hoping to get more fresh ideas without installing the CCM.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 11:33 AM, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> Hi

>>> I found that higher rate is better for me visually. From my xrandr
>>> output above, my ATI card can support 75Hz rate but its running at 60
>>> now. Indeed, I can xrandr it to 75 now but the setting would be gone
>>> on the next reboot.
>>>
>>> By the way, any suggestion on which startup script would be best to
>>> place the xrandr command, ie. rc.local, Xsession, etc?
>>

>> Found this:
>> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/59621/how-to-change-the-monitors-refresh-rate>
>>
>> Seems pretty odd that you'd have to install ccm in order to change the
>> refresh rate.
>
> Unfortunately, I am unable run xrandr during boot time. I tried
> placing the command (with absolute path) in .profile, Xsession,
> rc.local, other dozens of startup scripts and yet it would not run.
> Hoping to get more fresh ideas without installing the CCM.

Well...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
But I fail to understand why you don't just try ccm. It's easy enough to
uninstall if it doesn't work for you.