Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
NoOp

Default U11.10 Screen Refresh Rate

On 09/27/2011 01:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 22:15, NoOp...
>> Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I won't work in Gnome Classic
>
> Sorry, application NoOp closed unexpectedly, this may be due to an
> incompatibility with Gnome Classic, do you want to file a crash
> report?
>
> Colin

:-) I may use that for a .sig :-)

Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/27/2011 07:35 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 27 September 2011 10:50, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

That is what I thought, so saying the solution is just to edit the
file is a bit of an oversimplification. It is not just a matter of
editing a file, finding the line that says RefreshRate or similar and
changing the number.

Sure, but most people don't ever need to change the refresh rate setting.

It is a matter of understanding the syntax of
the file and knowing what to put in it in order to set the refresh
rate. Or is there a way of asking the system to generate a default
one matching the system so that one can just edit it?

sudo Xorg :1 -configure

That will generate an xorg.conf.new in your home directory. Here's the
output of me running that on my desktop (along with amusing "Error,
no, that's not an error" error message.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/697821/

Here's the resulting xorg.conf.new.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/697823/

Not brilliant

> Am I correct in

thinking that one can actually damage the hardware if one gets the
file horribly wrong?

Remember Xvidtune?? I blew the living sparks out of a really nice and
expensive, for the day, 15" CRT Multisync ..when one was the price of a
good used car. It went ZZZZZEEEEP! followed by a black screen and a
whiff of smoke, dinking with the refresh rates. I cried, forced to go
back to my 14" screen. So yeah, you can hurt your monitor. Whether you
will or not depends on what you force it to do that it shouldn't do.
It's your hardware, read the manuals and make up your own mind.

But, to answer your question, if something is fragile Linux will allow
you to break it it you make it do so. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html