Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Colin Law

Default U11.10 Screen Refresh Rate

On 26 September 2011 20:43, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 11:33 AM, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
>> Hi

>>> Found this:
>>> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/59621/how-to-change-the-monitors-refresh-rate>
>>>
>>> Seems pretty odd that you'd have to install ccm in order to change the
>>> refresh rate.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I am unable run xrandr during boot time. I tried
>> placing the command (with absolute path) in .profile, Xsession,
>> rc.local, other dozens of startup scripts and yet it would not run.
>> Hoping to get more fresh ideas without installing the CCM.
>
> Well...
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
> But I fail to understand why you don't just try ccm. It's easy enough to
> uninstall if it doesn't work for you.

Presumably that would not work if using Unity-2D as that does not use
compiz (I think).

Colin

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 12:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 20:43, NoOp ...
>> Well...
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
>> But I fail to understand why you don't just try ccm. It's easy enough to
>> uninstall if it doesn't work for you.
>
> Presumably that would not work if using Unity-2D as that does not use
> compiz (I think).
>
> Colin

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I won't work in Gnome Classic
either. That and the fact that anytime you try to use CCM I get "Sorry,
CompizConfig Settings Manager closed unexpectedly"...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
NoOp

On 09/26/2011 02:15 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 12:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 26 September 2011 20:43, NoOp ...
>>> Well...
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
>>> But I fail to understand why you don't just try ccm. It's easy enough to
>>> uninstall if it doesn't work for you.
>>
>> Presumably that would not work if using Unity-2D as that does not use
>> compiz (I think).
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I won't work in Gnome Classic
> either. That and the fact that anytime you try to use CCM I get "Sorry,
> CompizConfig Settings Manager closed unexpectedly"...

Correction "It won't work in Gnome Classic either".

Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Colin Law

On 26 September 2011 22:15, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 12:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 26 September 2011 20:43, NoOp ...
>>> Well...
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
>>> But I fail to understand why you don't just try ccm. It's easy enough to
>>> uninstall if it doesn't work for you.
>>
>> Presumably that would not work if using Unity-2D as that does not use
>> compiz (I think).
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I won't work in Gnome Classic

Sorry, application NoOp closed unexpectedly, this may be due to an
incompatibility with Gnome Classic, do you want to file a crash
report?

Colin

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Alan Pope

On 26 September 2011 19:33, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I am unable run xrandr during boot time. I tried
> placing the command (with absolute path) in .profile, Xsession,
> rc.local, other dozens of startup scripts and yet it would not run.
> Hoping to get more fresh ideas without installing the CCM.

I'm still at a loss as to why you wont just edit the xorg.conf. You
said that you didn't want to from a 'purist' point of view, but this
makes no sense to me. You want to configure x. The configuration file
for x _is_ /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Edit it and be done.

Al.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Colin Law

On 27 September 2011 09:46, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 19:33, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I am unable run xrandr during boot time. I tried
>> placing the command (with absolute path) in .profile, Xsession,
>> rc.local, other dozens of startup scripts and yet it would not run.
>> Hoping to get more fresh ideas without installing the CCM.
>
> I'm still at a loss as to why you wont just edit the xorg.conf. You
> said that you didn't want to from a 'purist' point of view, but this
> makes no sense to me. You want to configure x. The configuration file
> for x _is_ /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Edit it and be done.

I have lost track of the thread a bit, but I thought that normally
there is no such file. Certainly I have not got one. Not that I need
to change my refresh rate I am just following this as a learning
exercise.

Colin

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Alan Pope

On 27 September 2011 10:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have lost track of the thread a bit, but I thought that normally
> there is no such file. *Certainly I have not got one. *Not that I need
> to change my refresh rate I am just following this as a learning
> exercise.

There isn't an xorg.conf by default because (for some time now) X has
been able to automagically figure out what you want, and start up
without one. That doesn't mean it gets it right 100% of the time
though. As such we help X along a bit by giving it some config in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Examples of things that we use xorg.conf to
configure today include refresh rates, wacom tablet config, twinview
multiple monitor support, suppression of vendor logo on X start,
forced resolution options and so on.

Al.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Colin Law

On 27 September 2011 10:41, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 27 September 2011 10:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I have lost track of the thread a bit, but I thought that normally
>> there is no such file. *Certainly I have not got one. *Not that I need
>> to change my refresh rate I am just following this as a learning
>> exercise.
>>

> There isn't an xorg.conf by default because (for some time now) X has
> been able to automagically figure out what you want, and start up
> without one. That doesn't mean it gets it right 100% of the time
> though. As such we help X along a bit by giving it some config in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Examples of things that we use xorg.conf to
> configure today include refresh rates, wacom tablet config, twinview
> multiple monitor support, suppression of vendor logo on X start,
> forced resolution options and so on.

That is what I thought, so saying the solution is just to edit the
file is a bit of an oversimplification. It is not just a matter of
editing a file, finding the line that says RefreshRate or similar and
changing the number. It is a matter of understanding the syntax of
the file and knowing what to put in it in order to set the refresh
rate. Or is there a way of asking the system to generate a default
one matching the system so that one can just edit it? Am I correct in
thinking that one can actually damage the hardware if one gets the
file horribly wrong?

I have not seen any explanation anywhere as to why the option to set
refresh rate has been removed from the gui.

Colin

Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Alan Pope

On 27 September 2011 10:50, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> That is what I thought, so saying the solution is just to edit the
> file is a bit of an oversimplification. *It is not just a matter of
> editing a file, finding the line that says RefreshRate or similar and
> changing the number.

Sure, but most people don't ever need to change the refresh rate setting.

> *It is a matter of understanding the syntax of
> the file and knowing what to put in it in order to *set the refresh
> rate. *Or is there a way of asking the system to generate a default
> one matching the system so that one can just edit it?

sudo Xorg :1 -configure

That will generate an xorg.conf.new in your home directory. Here's the
output of me running that on my desktop (along with amusing "Error,
no, that's not an error" error message.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/697821/

Here's the resulting xorg.conf.new.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/697823/

Not brilliant

>*Am I correct in
> thinking that one can actually damage the hardware if one gets the
> file horribly wrong?

I've seen that reported, never seen anyone actually say they broke a
screen with it though.

> I have not seen any explanation anywhere as to why the option to set
> refresh rate has been removed from the gui.

Probably (at a guess) because these days people tend to use LCD panels
not CRT displays.

Al.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Colin Law

On 27 September 2011 12:35, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 27 September 2011 10:50, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> That is what I thought, so saying the solution is just to edit the
>> file is a bit of an oversimplification. *It is not just a matter of
>> editing a file, finding the line that says RefreshRate or similar and
>> changing the number.
>
> Sure, but most people don't ever need to change the refresh rate setting.
>
>> *It is a matter of understanding the syntax of
>> the file and knowing what to put in it in order to *set the refresh
>> rate. *Or is there a way of asking the system to generate a default
>> one matching the system so that one can just edit it?
>
> sudo Xorg :1 -configure
>
> That will generate an xorg.conf.new in your home directory. Here's the
> output of me running that on my desktop (along with amusing "Error,
> no, that's not an error" error message.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/697821/
>
> Here's the resulting xorg.conf.new.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/697823/
>
> Not brilliant
>
> *>*Am I correct in
>> thinking that one can actually damage the hardware if one gets the
>> file horribly wrong?
>>

> I've seen that reported, never seen anyone actually say they broke a
> screen with it though.
>
>> I have not seen any explanation anywhere as to why the option to set
>> refresh rate has been removed from the gui.
>>

> Probably (at a guess) because these days people tend to use LCD panels
> not CRT displays.

Thanks for that Alan, particularly how to create an conf file. That
will go into my notes repository for dredging up some time.

Colin