Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Wayne Smith

Default Burning Video

I am trying to burn either a Kino SMIL video file or an eli video file
to DVD, but Ubuntu thinks they're both Plain Text Documents and so does
K3b. I made them in Kino. Kino will still open the SMIL file, nothing
else will open either of them.

The original video files I made them from are in AVI format, and Kino is
the only thing that will open them. What do I do?????

Also, I can't get LaCie to work for nothing. It absolutely will not
pickup my CD/DVD drive, and cannot find anything that will tell me how
to make it work with K3B.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Ed Greshko

Wayne Smith wrote:
> I am trying to burn either a Kino SMIL video file or an eli video file
> to DVD, but Ubuntu thinks they're both Plain Text Documents and so does
> K3b. I made them in Kino. Kino will still open the SMIL file, nothing
> else will open either of them.
>
> The original video files I made them from are in AVI format, and Kino is
> the only thing that will open them. What do I do?????

First off, burning any old file to DVD won't allow you to view it on your TV
in a DVD player attached to your TV nor will it play on any DVD drive/SW in
a PC. Is that your goal?

A Video DVD has a very specific format.

If your original video is AVI you can follow the procedure here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD

There are scripts out there to simplify things a bit.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 08:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> If your original video is AVI you can follow the procedure here:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD
>
> There are scripts out there to simplify things a bit.

Or simply install DeVeDe. It's a Gnome package, dunno about KDE
equivalents. It's in the Ubuntu repos, but the author makes his own
Ubuntu package which is more up to date:
http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Nik

In article <1203313534.6690.42.camel@chronic>,
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 08:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > If your original video is AVI you can follow the procedure here:
> >
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD
> >
> > There are scripts out there to simplify things a bit.

> Or simply install DeVeDe. It's a Gnome package, dunno about KDE
> equivalents. It's in the Ubuntu repos, but the author makes his own
> Ubuntu package which is more up to date:
> http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Also you may need to change you version of mplayer/mencoder - the ones
shipped with Ubuntu don't work properly with devede.

Nik

--
"welcome to the blood red crimson sky of another imperial day"