-   -   SMBMOUNT? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/57982-smbmount.html)

Nick Stinemates 02-17-2008 10:32 PM

SMBMOUNT?

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Trying to set up samba again on my lan with a new
> machine and recently reconfigured old one but the
> smbmount cmd just gives the usage output.
>
> The man gives this cmd line syntax:
>
> smbmount {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]
>
> But it doesn't tell what {service} is or give any
> syntax. Think I can hack the {mount-point}. Googled
> for samba service but found nothing to help. Would
> someone please tell me the usage and syntax for the
> service entry in the command?
> TIA,
>
> BTW, the uusage output shows a "-n" in the cmd line
> before the options and has no entry for it in the man.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Leonard

Take a look at smbfs.

I use it in the following fashion:
mount -t smbfs -o username=<user>,password=<pass> //10.0.0.23/<samba
mount point> /mnt/<local mount point>

Good luck
Nick Stinemates

Leonard Chatagnier 02-17-2008 11:56 PM

SMBMOUNT?

--- Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Trying to set up samba again on my lan with a new
> > machine and recently reconfigured old one but the
> > smbmount cmd just gives the usage output.
> >
> > The man gives this cmd line syntax:
> >
> > smbmount {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]
> >
> > But it doesn't tell what {service} is or give any
> > syntax. Think I can hack the {mount-point}.
> Googled
> > for samba service but found nothing to help. Would
> > someone please tell me the usage and syntax for
> the
> > service entry in the command?
> > TIA,
> >
> > BTW, the uusage output shows a "-n" in the cmd
> line
> > before the options and has no entry for it in the
> man.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> Leonard
>
> Take a look at smbfs.
>
> I use it in the following fashion:
> mount -t smbfs -o
> username=<user>,password=<pass> //10.0.0.23/<samba
> mount point> /mnt/<local mount point>
>
> Good luck
> Nick Stinemates

Thanks Nick, but didn't work for me. Probably
something I did wrong, so here's what I typed on cli:

lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ man smbfs
No manual entry for smbfs
lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o
username=lchata,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.65/lchata
/mnt/media/samba
Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$

Dir /media/samba does exist. What could be wrong?

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Nick Stinemates 02-18-2008 12:56 AM

SMBMOUNT?

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:
>

>> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to set up samba again on my lan with a new
>>> machine and recently reconfigured old one but the
>>> smbmount cmd just gives the usage output.
>>>
>>> The man gives this cmd line syntax:
>>>
>>> smbmount {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]
>>>
>>> But it doesn't tell what {service} is or give any
>>> syntax. Think I can hack the {mount-point}.
>>>
>> Googled
>>
>>> for samba service but found nothing to help. Would
>>> someone please tell me the usage and syntax for
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> service entry in the command?
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> BTW, the uusage output shows a "-n" in the cmd
>>>
>> line
>>
>>> before the options and has no entry for it in the
>>>
>> man.
>>
>>> Leonard Chatagnier
>>> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>>>

>> Leonard
>>
>> Take a look at smbfs.
>>
>> I use it in the following fashion:
>> mount -t smbfs -o
>> username=<user>,password=<pass> //10.0.0.23/<samba
>> mount point> /mnt/<local mount point>
>>
>> Good luck
>> Nick Stinemates
>>

> Thanks Nick, but didn't work for me. Probably
> something I did wrong, so here's what I typed on cli:
>

> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ man smbfs
> No manual entry for smbfs
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o
> username=lchata,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.65/lchata
> /mnt/media/samba
> Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$
>
> Dir /media/samba does exist. What could be wrong?
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

You need to create it!

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/samba

--
==================
Nick Stinemates (nick@stinemates.org)

AIM: Nick Stinemates
MSN: nickstinemates@hotmail.com
Yahoo: nickstinemates@yahoo.com

"Raseel Bhagat" 02-18-2008 02:50 AM

SMBMOUNT?

Hi Leonard,

On Feb 18, 2008 7:26 AM, Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:
>> No manual entry for smbfs
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o

> username=lchata,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.65/lchata
> /mnt/media/samba
> Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$
>
> Dir /media/samba does exist. *What could be wrong?

You need to create it!

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/samba

Also, you need to make sure that SMBFS and CIFS are compiled into your kernel. By default, these options are present in the Ubuntu kernel. You haven't re-compiled the kernel., have you ?

Thanks,
Raseel
www.raseel.in/techblog/

Leonard Chatagnier 02-18-2008 03:50 AM

SMBMOUNT?

--- Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Leonard,
>
> On Feb 18, 2008 7:26 AM, Nick Stinemates
> <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:

> > > lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs
> -o
> > > username=lchata,password=xxxxxx
> //192.168.1.65/lchata
> > > /mnt/media/samba
> > > Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
> > > lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$
> > >
> > > Dir /media/samba does exist. What could be
> wrong?
> > >
> > You need to create it!
> >
> > sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/samba
> >

> Also, you need to make sure that SMBFS and CIFS are
> compiled into your
> kernel. By default, these options are present in the
> Ubuntu kernel. You
> haven't re-compiled the kernel., have you ?
>
> Thanks,
> Raseel

No, but thanks for the info. I don't compile. Glad to
know their there by default.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Derek Broughton 02-18-2008 10:04 AM

SMBMOUNT?

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ man smbfs
> No manual entry for smbfs
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o
> username=lchata,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.65/lchata
> /mnt/media/samba
> Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
> lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$
>
> Dir /media/samba does exist. What could be wrong?

Good - but that's not where you tried to mount it :-)

/mnt/media/samba _doesn't_ exist.
--
derek