Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Windows 8's use of the UEFI Secure Boot

I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing
an alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. Supposedly it
would be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to
the boot sector. Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would
be no way to get around it. Has anybody heard more about this and what
would the Ubuntu community do about this?

Bill Stanley

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Amrit Pal Pathak

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing an
> alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. *Supposedly it would
Means people can't install any other os(dual boot) after installation
of window8 ?
> be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to the boot
> sector. * Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would be no way to
> get around it. *Has anybody heard more about this and what would the Ubuntu
> community do about this?
Well ubuntu developers will have to crack it as they usually do .

--
Thanks
Regards

Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Wade Smart

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:50, Amrit Pal Pathak
<amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>> I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing an
>> alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. *Supposedly it would
> Means people can't install any other os(dual boot) after installation
> of window8 ?
>> be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to the boot
>> sector. * Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would be no way to
>> get around it. *Has anybody heard more about this and what would the Ubuntu
>> community do about this?
> Well ubuntu developers *will have to crack it as they usually do .
>

> --
> Thanks
> Regards
> Amrit Pal
> amritpalpathak.blogspot.com

Then that is my secondary hard drive and my primary has Ubuntu on it

Wade

Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 09/23/2011 12:47 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing
an alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. Supposedly it
would be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to
the boot sector. Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would be
no way to get around it. Has anybody heard more about this and what
would the Ubuntu community do about this?

Bill Stanley

There is some info here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/23/ms_denies_uefi_lock_in/

Regards, Jim

Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Hope they will do it. What ever they do it will have bad impression if the big vendors let it to do.*
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:Well ubuntu developers *will have to crack it as they usually do .

--

Thanks

Regards

Amrit Pal

amritpalpathak.blogspot.com

Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman
Volunteer, Foundation for Open Source Solutions Bangladesh.
*

Old 09-24-2011, 04:36 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Haneef Bashir

You could just install it into a virtual machine

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Colin Law

On 24 September 2011 05:36, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin <amoiz.shine@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011?09?24? 01:47, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing
>> an alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. *Supposedly it
>> would be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to
>> the boot sector. * Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would
>> be no way to get around it. *Has anybody heard more about this and what
>> would the Ubuntu community do about this?
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>>

> Ubuntu is my only installed OS in my hard disk,and i will not buy the
> machine related to UEFI.

The question is whether, in the future, you may have no choice.

Colin

Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Bill Stanley

< snip >

Then that is my secondary hard drive and my primary has Ubuntu on it

If what I read about it is correct, it will be in the firmware of the
motherboard. The motherboard will go there FIRST before even looking at
the hard drives. The small program (remember it is firmware on the
motherboard) can't be modified and it will allow booting only from the
boot sector on the first hard drive. The hard drives boot loader will
be digitally signed to match a password on the motherboard UEFI program.
It's supposed to allow booting from only the original, factory
installed hard drive. To get an alternate hard drive, you will have to
beg the original supplier to give you the key to the digital lock.
Maybe installing an alternate OS will not be impossible but it will make
it a huge PITA. Also booting from removable media will also be
prohibited by UEFI.

Bill Stanley

Old 09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Bill Stanley

On 09/24/2011 02:38 AM, Haneef Bashir wrote:

You could just install it into a virtual machine

Yes you could still go with a virtual machine but the host would still
have to be the original factory installed OS. In essence, you would
have to boot to Windows and then run Linux in a VM. It would be a wet
dream for MS in that you need Windows even if you never use it directly.

Bill Stanley