Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
David Fletcher

Default Windows 8's use of the UEFI Secure Boot

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 10:02 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> The question is whether, in the future, you may have no choice.
>
> Colin

Surely if I continue as I do, and buy PC components to build my own
computers, the motherboard will be provided with whatever is needed?

Don't know about laptops though. Any possibility of another antitrust
case in the making?

Dave

Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 10:02 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> The question is whether, in the future, you may have no choice.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Surely if I continue as I do, and buy PC components to build my own
> computers, the motherboard will be provided with whatever is needed?
>
> Don't know about laptops though. Any possibility of another antitrust
> case in the making?

My personal view of this, is that the secure boot feature, will be
manually enabled or disabled by the user, in the UEFI. This is the
only thing that makes sense.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

>>> The question is whether, in the future, you may have no choice.
>>>

>> Surely if I continue as I do, and buy PC components to build my own
>> computers, the motherboard will be provided with whatever is needed?
>>
>> Don't know about laptops though. Any possibility of another antitrust
>> case in the making?

Its still a free market out there. There will always be free machines,
like RMS using a Lemote laptop, though one may no longer be able to
install any Microsoft products on it.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin