-   -   Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/579031-ubuntu-11-10-beta-2-oneiric-ocelot-released.html)

NoOp 09-23-2011 02:43 AM

On 09/22/2011 06:59 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On 23/09/11 11:12, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>
>>> My review of Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2, for those that care:
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/107565911763363688537/posts/ZANsn9L7Nru
>>
>> Well, you have just done some serious raining on the parade :-D .
>>
>> (BTW, was that the 32- or the 64-bit version you were trialling?)
>

> 32-bit version.

Oneiric appears to be the 'Crash Dummy'. But hey, what's new? All
attention is glued to getting this release out on time. By hook, by
crook, and all other bugs be damned, they'll release on time. It'll be
great, you'll love it, and all current bugs will be
dropped/stalled/ignored unless you upgrade to 11.10. Nothing new here...
move along.

I think the link that Florian Diesch provided in the "Is it possible
change 11.04 program list as 10.10?" thread pretty much sums it up. The
"Align your applets correctly:" bit simply amazes me. Anyone who has
been testing Oneiric and has tried to move *anything* on the top panel
has to figure this to be the craziest bit of all.

Ric Moore 09-23-2011 03:00 AM

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

My review of Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2, for those that care:

https://plus.google.com/107565911763363688537/posts/ZANsn9L7Nru

Well, you have just done some serious raining on the parade :-D .

(BTW, was that the 32- or the 64-bit version you were trialling?)

...amd was this a clean install of beta2 or an update
from beta 1? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Basil Chupin 09-23-2011 04:21 AM

[...]

The rain i getting heavier....the band and the marching girls are
scattering......the cheerleaders are ducking for cover....... :-D .

BC

--
Talk is cheap - until you hire a lawyer.

Ioannis Vranos 09-23-2011 04:27 AM

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 09:47 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>> On 23/09/11 11:12, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>
>>> My review of Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2, for those that care:
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/107565911763363688537/posts/ZANsn9L7Nru
>>
>> Well, you have just done some serious raining on the parade :-D .
>>
>> (BTW, was that the 32- or the 64-bit version you were trialling?)
>
> ...amd was this a clean install of beta2 or an update
> from beta 1? *Ric

Clean install from the alternative CD.

However as I can see, all Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 CD/DVD images, that were
available for download, have been withdrawn, like those here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ubuntu-Oneiric-Ocelot-Download-69885.html

So something is going on. Perhaps they will re-release Beta 2 at a later date.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

"compdoc" 09-23-2011 04:53 AM

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

>The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2.

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2, 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD.

Test machine: AMD 7850 x2 core. 2 Gigs ram. 150G Raptor.

Installed the .iso from scratch and played with it a bit, then installed
the many updates waiting.

I'm pleased for the most part, but there are some problems. Seemed sluggish
before the upgrade, but it got much better.

LibreOffice apps open fine. Google-chrome-stable installed. Just one theme.
Just Unity. Chrome and Firefox open quickly.

I got a few: Sorry, the program "oneconf-query" closed unexpectedly.

No other problems.

Doubt I'll ever like Unity.

Comes with:

Kernel 3.0.0-11 #18
Gnome 3.1.92
LibreOffice 3.4.3
Firefox 7

Alan Pope 09-23-2011 08:32 AM

On 23 September 2011 05:27, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> However as I can see, all Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 CD/DVD images, that were
> available for download, have been withdrawn, like those here:

What makes you think they have been withdrawn. They're still available
in both official locations.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.10/beta-2/ - "Ubuntu 11.10
(Oneiric Ocelot) Beta 2"
http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/ - "Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) Beta 2"

All still there.

Al.

Colin Law 09-23-2011 08:37 AM

On 23 September 2011 09:32, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 23 September 2011 05:27, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However as I can see, all Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 CD/DVD images, that were
>> available for download, have been withdrawn, like those here:
>>

> What makes you think they have been withdrawn. They're still available
> in both official locations.
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.10/beta-2/ - "Ubuntu 11.10
> (Oneiric Ocelot) Beta 2"
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/ - "Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) Beta 2"

Also at http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/
Not sure why it is in so many places, a bit odd. I hope they are all
pointing to the same image :)

Colin

Alan Pope 09-23-2011 08:57 AM

On 23 September 2011 09:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also at http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/
> Not sure why it is in so many places, a bit odd. *I hope they are all
> pointing to the same image :)

/oneiric and /11.10 point to the same place (symlinks I believe) but
cdimage is a separate server.

Cheers,
Al.

Oliver Grawert 09-23-2011 09:52 AM

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

hi,
Am Freitag, den 23.09.2011, 09:57 +0100 schrieb Alan Pope:
> On 23 September 2011 09:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Also at http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/
> > Not sure why it is in so many places, a bit odd. I hope they are all
> > pointing to the same image :)
>
> /oneiric and /11.10 point to the same place (symlinks I believe) but
> cdimage is a separate server.

releases.u.c carries all average images, it gets regulary mirrored all
over the world. to limit the load and disk usage on the often voluntary
driven mirrors there is the cdimage server. cdimage.u.c does not get
mirrored and carries the rather uncommon images (special architectures,
exotic image types etc) that dont see as many downloads.

during development a release is only called by its release name
("oneiric" in the current cycle) from release date on the name changes
to the actual version (you will notice that all the official docs on
ubuntu.com only use release numbers (with the release name in brackets
sometimes)). this renaming is the reason for having the symlinks ...

ciao
oli

Basil Chupin 09-23-2011 01:03 PM

[...]

Would someone be in a position to translate this into something
understandable, please?

BC

--
Talk is cheap - until you hire a lawyer.