Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default problem in rendering of hindi fonts on chrome

The problem is with respect to browser Chrome (I use Ubuntu 11.04 )
and in certain cases such as heading etc the font is not rendered
correctly.

Here is the page in problem on Chrome
https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498

A Correctly rendered page should appear like this

https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410

the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.com but this problem is
there in many other URLs which I open in chrome,
there is no such problem when I am using Firefox on Ubuntu.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Alan Pope

On 22 September 2011 11:32, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the page in problem on Chrome
> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498
> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410

Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."

> the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.com but this problem is

Neither does that link work.

Al.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2011 11:32, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is the page in problem on Chrome
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410
>>

> Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."
>

>> the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.com but this problem is
>
> Neither does that link work.

Please check now I updated it
https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem
chrome appearance
https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498

correct appearance as should come (coming in firefox)
https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410

following is the link
http://in.jagran.yahoo.com
previous was a type error.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
NoOp

On 09/22/2011 03:38 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 22 September 2011 11:32, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is the page in problem on Chrome
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410
>>

> Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."

Works for me.

>> the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.com but this problem is
>
> Neither does that link work.

That should be:
http://in.jagran.yahoo.com/

And I can confirm what Tapas is seeing, both in Chrome (14.0.835.186) &
Chromium (13.0.782.215 (Developer Build 97094 Linux) Ubuntu 10.10). The
page renders find in SeaMonkey (2.4b3) and FireFox (6.0.2).

Tapas: file a bug report against chromium. This one looks similar:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/828840
[Fonts are being rendered improperly ]
Upstream:

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Tapas Mishra

Done https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/856736

Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
NoOp

On 09/22/2011 12:36 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."
>>
>> Works for me.

>>> Neither does that link work.
>>
>> That should be:
>> http://in.jagran.yahoo.com/
>>
>> And I can confirm what Tapas is seeing, both in Chrome (14.0.835.186) &
>> Chromium (13.0.782.215 (Developer Build 97094 Linux) Ubuntu 10.10). The
>> page renders find in SeaMonkey (2.4b3) and FireFox (6.0.2).
>>
>> Tapas: file a bug report against chromium.
>
> Done https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/856736

Possibly related upstream:
[Hindi font problem on Ubuntu when using custom fonts.conf file]
Also see (from the above bug report):
<http://www.binarytides.com/blog/google-chrome-hindi-font-problem-on-ubuntu/>

I tested on a fairly clean Natty partition. With
ttf-mscorefonts-installer installed, the http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/
renders per the bug report. I purged ttf-mscorefonts-installer,
restarted chromium and the results are the same. Note: I've no custom
~/fonts.conf so this doesn't seem to be the issue (with me).

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 03:38 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 22 September 2011 11:32, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here is the page in problem on Chrome
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127655183416498
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/mightydreams/HindiFontsProblem#5655127704627761410
>>>

>> Neither of those links work for me. "Sorry, that page was not found."
>
> Works for me.
>
>>> the link which I tried is http://in.jagran.yahoo.com but this problem is
>>

> And I can confirm what Tapas is seeing, both in Chrome (14.0.835.186) &
> Chromium (13.0.782.215 (Developer Build 97094 Linux) Ubuntu 10.10). The
> page renders find in SeaMonkey (2.4b3) and FireFox (6.0.2).
>
> Tapas: file a bug report against chromium. This one looks similar:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/828840
> [Fonts are being rendered improperly ]
> Upstream:
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=93670
>

> --

I have got a working solution for my problem which I reported long time back.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/856736?comments=all
Deleting the files

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf

Every page which I reported the problem after deleting above files was
rendered correct for Indian language Hindi.

Want to know why does presence of FreeSerif.ttf and FreeSans.ttf is
affecting the rendering of Hindi (Indian language)?
Can some one suggest me what more should I do to dig this further.(May
be suggesting me a few steps as how to triage this fonts problem and
the solution which I posted will be suffice)
I have already spent a lot of time to get this working.