Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Peter Diercks

Default cdrom mounting problems ?

Hello List,

Has this problem been solved in the meantime? I "lost" my cdrom drive,
too. It happened while trying to start a music cd. The drive did not
manage to read the disk and stopped working, though it had read the cd
several times before. The cd (a commercial one) is ok. Anyway, from that
moment on my cdrom has virtually disappeared, and I don't know how to
reactivate it. The system keeps telling me the drive cannot be mounted:

mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist

Any new ideas?

Greetings,

Peter

Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Jack Bowling

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:24:54PM +0100, Peter Diercks wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Has this problem been solved in the meantime? I "lost" my cdrom drive,
> too. It happened while trying to start a music cd. The drive did not
> manage to read the disk and stopped working, though it had read the cd
> several times before. The cd (a commercial one) is ok. Anyway, from that
> moment on my cdrom has virtually disappeared, and I don't know how to
> reactivate it. The system keeps telling me the drive cannot be mounted:
>
> mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist
>
> Any new ideas?

I had this happen as well. But it turned out I had knocked the
connecting cable from the CD off the motherboard header when I was
upgrading RAM. You may want to check to see if the physical connection is
fine.

Jack

Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Peter Diercks

Am Sonntag, den 17.02.2008, 12:04 -0800 schrieb Jack Bowling:

> I had this happen as well. But it turned out I had knocked the
> connecting cable from the CD off the motherboard header when I was
> upgrading RAM. You may want to check to see if the physical connection is
> fine.
>
> Jack

Jack,

I never opened my PC. If the cable should have been removed from its
connector it would mean that my machine is alive... :-)

Greetings,
Peter