Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM
wayward4now

Default synaptic still bonkers

Rats, still having problems with synaptic after I ripped Mint from the
Natty install, like a screaming Mandrake root.

wayward4now@iam ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-next

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 60, in<module>

sp = SoftwareProperties()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 90, in __init__

self.reload_sourceslist()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 538, in reload_sourceslist

self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources

raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "

aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template

Is there some sort of system install script that re-installs synaptic,
after installation, to have these scripts back? Something had to run,
during the initial install, to make those scripts happen. Thanks! Ric

Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 PM
chris

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 16:48 -0400, wayward4now wrote:
> Rats, still having problems with synaptic after I ripped Mint from the
> Natty install, like a screaming Mandrake root.
<snip>
> Is there some sort of system install script that re-installs synaptic,
> after installation, to have these scripts back? Something had to run,
> during the initial install, to make those scripts happen. Thanks! Ric

Bite the bullet Ric and do a reinstall of 10.04. Gracefully accept that
ubuntu is now so broken as to be useless after 10.04

Da kiwi

Old 09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:31:30 +1200
chris <chevhq@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> Bite the bullet Ric and do a reinstall of 10.04. Gracefully accept
> that ubuntu is now so broken as to be useless after 10.04
>
> Da kiwi

+1

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM
wayward4now

Bite the bullet Ric and do a reinstall of 10.04. Gracefully accept
that ubuntu is now so broken as to be useless after 10.04

Da kiwi

+1

Oh hell, I've just about got everything the way I want it, too. <whines> Ric

Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:48:22 -0400
wayward4now <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2011 05:42 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:31:30 +1200
> > chris<chevhq@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >> Bite the bullet Ric and do a reinstall of 10.04. Gracefully accept
> >> that ubuntu is now so broken as to be useless after 10.04
> >>
> >> Da kiwi
> >>
> > +1
> Oh hell, I've just about got everything the way I want it, too.
> <whines> Ric

Back up your dot files and restore them one by one in case something
goes awry.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
wayward4now

On 09/18/2011 05:52 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

Oh hell, I've just about got everything the way I want it, too.
<whines> Ric

Back up your dot files and restore them one by one in case something
goes awry.

You mean when it blows up... "goes awry" lacks the eclat suitable for a
situation when pressing red buttons repeatedly like a lab rat hitting
the gimmie-the-crack-cocaine button. This is ending in tears. Ric

Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Avi Greenbury

wayward4now wrote:

> Is there some sort of system install script that re-installs
> synaptic, after installation, to have these scripts back?

apt-get install --reinstall synaptic

or, more forcefully

apt-get remove --purge synaptic
apt-get install synaptic

might do it, I suppose. You will lose any synaptic-specific
configuration with the second (though not apt- or dpkg- wide like
sources.list or pinning)

This sounds like it's some sort of a problem you're already aware of by
the way you describe it; - is there a bug filed for it? I've not seen
this, but I don't use synaptic. How can I reproduce this when I'm back
on my Ubuntu box?

I might not be able to fix it (likely) but I'm intrigued.

--
Avi

Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 AM
wayward4now

On 09/18/2011 07:14 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:

wayward4now wrote:

Is there some sort of system install script that re-installs
synaptic, after installation, to have these scripts back?

apt-get install --reinstall synaptic

or, more forcefully

apt-get remove --purge synaptic
apt-get install synaptic

might do it, I suppose. You will lose any synaptic-specific
configuration with the second (though not apt- or dpkg- wide like
sources.list or pinning)

This sounds like it's some sort of a problem you're already aware of by
the way you describe it; - is there a bug filed for it? I've not seen
this, but I don't use synaptic. How can I reproduce this when I'm back
on my Ubuntu box?

I might not be able to fix it (likely) but I'm intrigued.
Well, what you have to do is a fresh install of Mint11, then decide it's
not for you, so you start ripping out various mint packages and repos,
to get down to the basic natty that was underneath. So far, nothing
major has blown up, except for where-ever synaptic thinks it's scripts
are installed to.

Basically, I need what stores or restores Natty to it's pristine initial
package database(?)/script condition when a saner person installs Natty
to begin with. I've already removed/installed synaptic more than once.
~or~ maybe it's an apt-get package that generates the script synaptic is
looking for?

Gonna go witch-hunt around to see what there is in apt-get land that
might init it. This process actually IS intriguing! I'm learning some
stuff. Thanks Avi. Ric

Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 AM
wayward4now

On 09/19/2011 07:01 AM, chris wrote:

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 18:09 -0400, wayward4now wrote:

On 09/18/2011 05:52 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

Oh hell, I've just about got everything the way I want it, too.
<whines> Ric

Back up your dot files and restore them one by one in case something
goes awry.

You mean when it blows up... "goes awry" lacks the eclat suitable for a
situation when pressing red buttons repeatedly like a lab rat hitting
the gimmie-the-crack-cocaine button. This is ending in tears. Ric

Yep. The problem still remains as to where we go after 10.04
for me, possibly Debian squeeze, or open suse. May hap Ubuntu will come
to there collective senses in a few years time. Maybe

I dunno, it's starting to work for me... of course I stick KDE on top of
it all, so the Unity thing vs the Gnome thing isn't an issue for me. I
survived the KDE3 > KDE4 migration when they brought the old style menu
button back, as an option. With the new KDE menu there is much fear and
loathing from here. Giving me back what I'm used to fixed my pain.
Someone had a compassionate moment.

MAYBE someone will come up with a "traditional style" theme for Gnome 3
to make it act like Gnome 2 and then everyone will be happy? That would
make sense, and not run off the original villagers. Ric

Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Colin Law

On 19 September 2011 01:42, wayward4now <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> MAYBE someone will come up with a "traditional style" theme for Gnome 3 to
> make it act like Gnome 2 and then everyone will be happy? That would make
> sense, and not run off the original villagers. Ric

Am I the only one here who actually thinks that Unity is a Good Thing?
The "Average Users" that I support (ie non geeks) really like its
simplicity for using the half dozen apps they regularly use. That
covers the majority of users, though not the majority or readers here
I imagine.

For myself I think the main thing lacking is gui tools for configuring
the launcher items, including the setup of quicklinks (so right click
turns them into single level menus). For example I have setup a
Terminal launcher with shortcuts to ssh into each of the machines I
support, so right click gives me a list of them and I can get a
terminal window open on any of them with two clicks. I hope someone
is in the process of developing such an app.

I also like the quick way I can open apps not in the launcher, so to
open calculator for example I hit Super key and type cal Enter and I
am there. Much quicker than finding it in some menu or other.

Colin