Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
vichy

Default how to save back /bin

Dear all:
I accidentally delete all the files below /bin.
I reboot my livecd and copy /bin in livecd to my partition.
but it complaint that libc.6.so cannot find glibc2.0.

I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
Appreciate your help,

Old 09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Alan Pope

On 16 September 2011 15:47, vichy <vichy.kuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
> there easiest way to restore /bin/*.

Pick one of these answers:-

"No"

"Yes, restore from a backup"

"Install a new Ubuntu system on another host, do all the same system
updates, install all the same packages and then copy /bin/* over to
your broken machine."

Al.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Arvind S Raj

I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is

there easiest way to restore /bin/*.

Appreciate your help,
Easiest is to reinstall. /home will remain unaffected. You could backup your installed applications before you reinstall so restoring is easy.

--
Arvind S Raj

Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Avi Greenbury

Arvind S Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM, vichy <vichy.kuo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
> > there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
> > Appreciate your help,
>

> Easiest is to reinstall. /home will remain unaffected.

Just to be sure, /home will remain unaffected if you specifically tell
the installer to not affect it (which is rather easy, but the default
action is to clobber it).

> You could backup your installed applications before you reinstall so
> restoring is easy.

Yes,

dpkg --get-selections

will get a list of those packages you have installed, so if you do

dpkg --get-selections > somefile

and then copy somefile to somewhere safe, once you've installed you can
put it back and do

dpkg --set-selections < somefile

and it'll set dpkg up to reinstall all of those packages onto the new
install once you do a

apt-get update
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

--
Avi

Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Colin Law

On 17 September 2011 04:55, Arvind S Raj <sraj.arvind@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM, vichy <vichy.kuo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
>> there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
>> Appreciate your help,
>
> Easiest is to reinstall. /home will remain unaffected. You could backup your
> installed applications before you reinstall so restoring is easy.

To do that make sure you go down the Advanced route in the installer
(or whatever it is called on the version you are installing), select
this on the page where you decide whether you want it Alongside, Full
Disk and so on. Then make sure that the partition for '/' (or '/home'
if you have that on a separate partition) is *not* selected to be
formatted.

Colin

Old 09-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM, vichy <vichy.kuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I accidentally delete all the files below /bin.
> I reboot my livecd and copy /bin in livecd to my partition.
> but it complaint that libc.6.so cannot find glibc2.0.
>
> I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
> there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
> Appreciate your help,

You can try to reinstall over your existing partition. All your
configuration would be intact. Should take less than half an hour.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 AM
vichy

hi:

2011/9/17 Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM, vichy <vichy.kuo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all:
>> I accidentally delete all the files below /bin.
>> I reboot my livecd and copy /bin in livecd to my partition.
>> but it complaint that libc.6.so cannot find glibc2.0.
>>
>> I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
>> there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
>> Appreciate your help,
>
> You can try to reinstall over your existing partition. All your
> configuration would be intact. Should take less than half an hour.
so you mean I only need to reinstall the ubuntu on the same partition,
after rebooting, everything will be like before?
No need to apt-get install packages I installed before?
Appreciate your help,

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

>>> I accidentally delete all the files below /bin.
>>> I reboot my livecd and copy /bin in livecd to my partition.
>>> but it complaint that libc.6.so cannot find glibc2.0.
>>>
>>> I don't want to to reinstall my system and I just want to know is
>>> there easiest way to restore /bin/*.
>>> Appreciate your help,
>>
>> You can try to reinstall over your existing partition. All your
>> configuration would be intact. Should take less than half an hour.
> so you mean I only need to reinstall the ubuntu on the same partition,
> after rebooting, everything will be like before?
> No need to apt-get install packages I installed before?
> Appreciate your help,

No, unfortunately. You will need to install them again if you chose this method.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin