Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default how to install firmware for wifi when lan is not working

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
Wireless is not working.
I do not have a lan card working so as to connect to it and use.Any
how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
So how should I go on.
lspci out put of my device is

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Do you have windows? If you have then goto System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers. You will see your hardware listed to install driver. Click the active button. Then it will give you a error message. There you will find the download link. Just download the file and install.

Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh
Thank you

Md Ashickur Rahman
Volunteer, Foundation for Open Source Solutions Bangladesh.

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.

Wireless is not working.

I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any

how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.

I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is

dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.

So how should I go on.

lspci out put of my device is

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312

802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

* * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]

* * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Tapas Mishra

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
>> Wireless is not working.
>> I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any
>> how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
>> I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
>> dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
>> So how should I go on.
>> lspci out put of my device is
>>
>> 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>> * * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
>> * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> * * * *Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> * * * *Capabilities: <access denied>
>> * * * *Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
>> * * * *Kernel modules: ssb

Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
> Wireless is not working.
> I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any
> how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
> I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
> dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
> So how should I go on.
> lspci out put of my device is
>
> 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
> * * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
> * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> * * * *Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> * * * *Capabilities: <access denied>
> * * * *Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
> * * * *Kernel modules: ssb

Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.

Restart Ubuntu.

If wireless still not works, try activating it with your laptop's
keyboard function keys.

Let us know whether it works or not.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
>> Wireless is not working.
>> I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any
>> how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
>> I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
>> dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
>> So how should I go on.
>> lspci out put of my device is
>>
>> 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>> * * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
>> * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> * * * *Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> * * * *Capabilities: <access denied>
>> * * * *Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
>> * * * *Kernel modules: ssb
>

> Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.
Thats is what I want to know how do I install this when I am not
connected to any network I do not have a LAN connectivity only Wifi
and Wireless does not have drivers?

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Ioannis Vranos
> Thats is what I want to know how do I install this when I am not
> connected to any network I do not have a LAN connectivity only Wifi
> and Wireless does not have drivers?

Just pick a download link from this page:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/all/linux-firmware-nonfree/download

and install it to your laptop (by double-clicking on the file).

Did you try the keyboard function keys related to enabling/disabling
wireless in your laptop (check your laptop manual for the function
keys).

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Ioannis Vranos
>> Thats is what I want to know how do I install this when I am not
>> connected to any network I do not have a LAN connectivity only Wifi
>> and Wireless does not have drivers?
>

> Just pick a download link from this page:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/all/linux-firmware-nonfree/download
>

> and install it to your laptop (by double-clicking on the file).
Thanks a lot I was looking for this information only.I was able to
download it on Windows copy it in Ubuntu and then install the way you
said.
It asked to activate the STA driver I activated it.
Then did a reboot.

> Did you try the keyboard function keys related to enabling/disabling
> wireless in your laptop (check your laptop manual for the function
> keys).

Yes now it is working.
Thanks a lot.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 04:51:36PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
> > Wireless is not working.
> > I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any
> > how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
> > I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
> > dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
> > So how should I go on.
> > lspci out put of my device is
> >
> > 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> > 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
> > * * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
> > * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> > * * * *Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> > * * * *Capabilities: <access denied>
> > * * * *Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
> > * * * *Kernel modules: ssb
>

> Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.

I'm confused (not unusual). How do you do this if there is no working
wifi under ubuntu? Is the package on the cd? If so you should have
mentioned this.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 04:51:36PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
>> > Wireless is not working.
>> > I do not have a lan card working *so as to *connect to it and use.Any
>> > how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
>> > I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
>> > dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
>> > So how should I go on.
>> > lspci out put of my device is
>> >
>> > 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> > 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>> > * * * *Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
>> > * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> > * * * *Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> > * * * *Capabilities: <access denied>
>> > * * * *Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
>> > * * * *Kernel modules: ssb
>>

>> Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.
>
> I'm confused (not unusual). How do you do this if there is no working
> wifi under ubuntu? Is the package on the cd? If so you should have
> mentioned this.
>
> --
No it is not on CD.Any thing that is important to make your wifi is by
default not present in the ISO which I downloaded.
So I rebooted the machine to Windows (I have a dual boot) wifi was
working in Windows so I went to the site and manually downloaded the
linux-firmware-nonfree package in windows then rebooted to Ubuntu and
the double clicked on the .deb file which then installed the concerned
driver.
While doing so I did not had any connectivity to internet from within
Ubuntu as only wireless network is available since I had windows so I
was able to reboot and download the non-free firmware for Ubuntu and
reboot then install in Ubuntu and then got wifi working.
--
Regards
Abhi