Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Lucid office trap

I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I could just try it on my lucid laptop.* No way -- it wanted to delete openoffice, so I did not allow that.

I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering.* Anyway, somehow something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove (completely) that would get back to smooth running.* Eventually, after removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let libreoffice take over.

I don't use the office much now that I'm retired, and I have natty with OpenOffice on another machine, so I'm not badly damaged or anything.* I'm just ticked off that there's no obvious path back to what I had before.* I'm guessing I would have wound up with LO anyway after a time, the way things are, so this is just...

A word to the wise...
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I
> could just try it on my lucid laptop.* No way -- it wanted to delete
> openoffice, so I did not allow that.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering.* Anyway, somehow
> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
> (completely) that would get back to smooth running.* Eventually, after
> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
> libreoffice take over.
>
> I don't use the office much now that I'm retired, and I have natty with
> OpenOffice on another machine, so I'm not badly damaged or anything.* I'm
> just ticked off that there's no obvious path back to what I had before.* I'm
> guessing I would have wound up with LO anyway after a time, the way things
> are, so this is just...

Synaptic keeps history of what it does. Check its File->History.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I
>> could just try it on my lucid laptop.* No way -- it wanted to delete
>> openoffice, so I did not allow that.
>>
>> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
>> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering.* Anyway, somehow
>> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
>> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
>> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
>> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
>> (completely) that would get back to smooth running.* Eventually, after
>> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
>> libreoffice take over.
>>
>> I don't use the office much now that I'm retired, and I have natty with
>> OpenOffice on another machine, so I'm not badly damaged or anything.* I'm
>> just ticked off that there's no obvious path back to what I had before.* I'm
>> guessing I would have wound up with LO anyway after a time, the way things
>> are, so this is just...
>

> Synaptic keeps history of what it does. Check its File->History.

Remove LibreOffice, and reinstall any OpenOffice.org packages you
accidentally removed.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Koh Choon Lin

> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering.* Anyway, somehow
> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
> (completely) that would get back to smooth running.* Eventually, after
> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
> libreoffice take over.

Synaptic has a history feature and an undo function.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 07:12 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I
> could just try it on my lucid laptop. No way -- it wanted to delete
> openoffice, so I did not allow that.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering. Anyway, somehow
> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
> (completely) that would get back to smooth running. Eventually, after
> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
> libreoffice take over.

If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from
a ppa... right?

The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
to purge the ppa.

1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick
'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
2. Purge the PPA:
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
[or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.

Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
portions in it's basic install:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 09/15/2011 07:12 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I

> could just try it on my lucid laptop. *No way -- it wanted to delete

> openoffice, so I did not allow that.

> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know

> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering. *Anyway, somehow

> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault

> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of

> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new

> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove

> (completely) that would get back to smooth running. *Eventually, after

> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let

> libreoffice take over.

If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from

a ppa... right?

Yes.* Of course.
*

The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is

to purge the ppa.

1. Enable backports via Synaptic:

System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick

'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'

button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.

2. Purge the PPA:

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa

[or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]

That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.

Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key

portions in it's basic install:

Well, I have a set of old selections lists, so I should be able to figure out
what portions I used to have.
*

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

Thanks.* This looks workable, but I'll wait a bit
* 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.

* 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
* 3. I'll avoid synaptic dependency hell, or the threat of it, as long as possible.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from
>> a ppa... right?
>>
> Yes.* Of course.
>

>> The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
>> to purge the ppa.
>>
>> 1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
>> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick
>> 'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
>> button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
>> 2. Purge the PPA:
>> $ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
>> [or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
>> That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.
>>
>> Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
>> portions in it's basic install:
>>

> Well, I have a set of old selections lists, so I should be able to figure
> out
> what portions I used to have.
>

>> $ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
>
> Thanks.* This looks workable, but I'll wait a bit
> * 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
> * 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
> * 3. I'll avoid synaptic dependency hell, or the threat of it, as long as

There is an easier way to remove PPA.

In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories->Other Software, and remove
the repository (the PPA) you want.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
"compdoc"

>* 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
>* 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.

I'm assuming you know OO fairly well, so please let us know what you think of LO, if you have time in the future.
*
*

Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 01:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM, NoOp <...
>> The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
>> to purge the ppa.
>>
>> 1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
>> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick
>> 'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
>> button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
>> 2. Purge the PPA:
>> $ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
>> [or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
>> That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.
>>
>> Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
>> portions in it's basic install:
>>

> Well, I have a set of old selections lists, so I should be able to figure
> out
> what portions I used to have.
>

>> $ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
>>

> Thanks. This looks workable, but I'll wait a bit
> 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
> 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
> 3. I'll avoid synaptic dependency hell, or the threat of it, as long as
> possible.

Easiest (and safest way) to try LO is to download it directly from LO (I
recommend 3.3.4):
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
download both the install-deb and the helppack-deb. Extract them both.

From the terminal:
cd to the 'DEBS' folder and then:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
now cd to the /DEBS/desktop-integration folder and repeat:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Now cd to the helppack DEB folder & repeat.

You'll then find LO in your Applications|Office menus. Note: purge the
ppa version you have first. This version is installed in
/opt/libreoffice so it will not interfere with your standard lucid OOo.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Colin Law

On 15 September 2011 21:40, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from
>>> a ppa... right?
>>>
>> Yes.* Of course.
>>

>>> The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
>>> to purge the ppa.
>>>
>>> 1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
>>> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick
>>> 'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
>>> button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
>>> 2. Purge the PPA:
>>> $ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
>>> [or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
>>> That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.
>>>
>>> Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
>>> portions in it's basic install:
>>>

>> Well, I have a set of old selections lists, so I should be able to figure
>> out
>> what portions I used to have.
>>

>>> $ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
>>
>> Thanks.* This looks workable, but I'll wait a bit
>> * 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
>> * 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
>> * 3. I'll avoid synaptic dependency hell, or the threat of it, as long as
>

> There is an easier way to remove PPA.
>

> In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories->Other Software, and remove
> the repository (the PPA) you want.

Does that do all that ppa-purge does? Uninstalling the ppa packages
and restoring the originals?

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw