Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 AM
NoOp

Default Lucid office trap

On 09/15/2011 08:49 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 07:12 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I
>> could just try it on my lucid laptop. No way -- it wanted to delete
>> openoffice, so I did not allow that.
>>
>> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
>> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering. Anyway, somehow
>> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
>> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
>> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
>> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
>> (completely) that would get back to smooth running. Eventually, after
>> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
>> libreoffice take over.
>
> If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from
> a ppa... right?
>
> The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
> to purge the ppa.
>
> 1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Reposit ories|Updates|tick
> 'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
> button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
> 2. Purge the PPA:
> $ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
> [or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
> That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.
>
> Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
> portions in it's basic install:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

I just tested on lucid (again) and the ppa borks more than the standard
OOo. After you ppa-purge, you also need to purge some additional
libreoffice ppa installed files:

uno-libs3
ure

Overall the ppa pretty much F%$^ with the sytem, but if you purge those
& reinstall openoffice.org-common and then openoffice.org you should be
pretty much back to normal. Then you can install LO directly from the
debs provided by LO.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Alan Pope

On 16 September 2011 01:02, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Have you actually tried this?

I use this method for removing randomly installed PPA stuff all the time.

Also useful is 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^' (note the caret)
which should put back stuff that may have been removed by later
package manipulation.

Al.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:21 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2011 01:15 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 16 September 2011 01:02, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Have you actually tried this?
>>

> I use this method for removing randomly installed PPA stuff all the time.
>
> Also useful is 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^' (note the caret)
> which should put back stuff that may have been removed by later
> package manipulation.
>
> Al.

Thanks. I'll give it a try today.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2011 08:21 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 01:15 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 16 September 2011 01:02, NoOp <snipped> wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you actually tried this?
>>>

>> I use this method for removing randomly installed PPA stuff all the time.
>>
>> Also useful is 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^' (note the caret)
>> which should put back stuff that may have been removed by later
>> package manipulation.
>>
>> Al.
>>

> Thanks. I'll give it a try today.

Well done Popey!

To recap; I followed your advise & it worked well -thanks!

1. Reinstalled the libreoffice ppa:
$ sudo apt-add repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
and ensured it was enabled then 'sudo apt-get update'.

2. Then installed libreoffice & tested to make sure it was working

3. Then I purged the ppa:
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
Note: that fails to remove all of the files installed by the ppa:
The following packages are BROKEN:
libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw
libreoffice-filter-binfilter libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-math
libreoffice-report-builder-bin libreoffice-writer
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
python-uno ttf-opensymbol uno-libs3 ure
openoffice.org-common{a} openoffice.org-core{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 4 downgraded, 0 to remove and 1
not upgraded.
Need to get 51.3MB of archives. After unpacking 174MB will be used.
etc., etc.

So it's still a mess.

4. Then following Alan's advise:
$ sudo apt-get autoremove libreoffice
- that cleaned up the mess.
$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer
python-uno uno-libs3 ure
Suggested packages:
openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-style-industrial
openoffice.org-style-hicontrast openoffice.org-style-tango
openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-oxygen bsh
openoffice.org-gcj openoffice.org-filter-binfilter cli-uno-bridge
openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer
python-uno uno-libs3 ure
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 65.9MB/66.5MB of archives.
After this operation, 238MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

5. That last of course installed only the basic OpenOffice & you still
need to:
$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
in order to get some of the more important bits of OOo like Base, Draw,
Impress etc:
$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libhsqldb-java libservlet2.5-java openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc
openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-filter-binfilter
openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev openoffice.org-impress
openoffice.org-officebean openoffice.org-report-builder-bin ttf-dejavu
ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-sil-gentium ttf-sil-gentium-basic
Suggested packages:
libhsqldb-java-doc libhsqldb-java-gcj openoffice.org-l10n-3.2 menu
openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-kde openclipart-openoffice.org
pstoedit
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
libmyodbc odbc-postgresql libsqliteodbc tdsodbc mdbtools libmysql-java
libpg-java libjtds-java openoffice.org-gcj openoffice.org-report-builder
libhsqldb-java libservlet2.5-java openoffice.org openoffice.org-base
openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-filter-binfilter
openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev openoffice.org-impress
openoffice.org-officebean openoffice.org-report-builder-bin ttf-dejavu
ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-sil-gentium ttf-sil-gentium-basic
0 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.0MB/22.4MB of archives.
After this operation, 76.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Add a few more like help, dictionaries, etc., and it's back to normal &
LO from the ppa is gone.

6. I'd also purged my standard LO (installed to /opt) so that I could
ensure that the ppa version was the only version on the system. So now I
put the standard version back & can now run OOo _and_ LO (multiple LO
versions in fact by modifying the 'bootstraprc' file to create separate
LO profiles) at the same time for comparison.

End result is that I definately like Alan's method better & stand
corrected. Thanks again Alan.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> End result is that I definately like Alan's method better & stand
> corrected. Thanks again Alan.

My GUI method works OK too. :-)

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2011 11:54 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>> End result is that I definately like Alan's method better & stand
>> corrected. Thanks again Alan.
>

> My GUI method works OK too. :-)

OK, OK Ioannis, I'll try your's as well. Just not the 'Computer Janitor'
bit... OK? :-)

Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 11:54 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> End result is that I definately like Alan's method better & stand
>>> corrected. Thanks again Alan.
>>

>> My GUI method works OK too. :-)
>
> OK, OK Ioannis, I'll try your's as well. Just not the 'Computer
Janitor'
> bit... OK? :-)

Computer Janitor does what

apt-get autoremove

does, plus it shows all manually installed debs.

So, you may replace computer janitor with apt-get autoremove. :-)

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 AM
NoOp

On 09/16/2011 03:42 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> My GUI method works OK too. :-)
>>
>> OK, OK Ioannis, I'll try your's as well. Just not the 'Computer
> Janitor'
>> bit... OK? :-)
>

> Computer Janitor does what
>
> apt-get autoremove
>
> does, plus it shows all manually installed debs.

Plus it crashes:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/computer-janitor/+bugs
$ /usr/share/computerjanitor/computer-janitor-gtk
ERROR:computerjanitor:Cannot contact Computer Janitor dbus service; try
again.
Traceback (most recent call last):

Sucks up nearly 100% of the cpu, and overall (IMO) is a dangerous piece
of junk. Sorry, but it's one of the first things that I install on a new
system. But in all fairness to you I reinstalled & tried again... same
results (Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit and 64bit).

This works well though:

$ sudo apt-get purge computer-janitor*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'computer-janitor-gtk' for regex 'computer-janitor*'
Note, selecting 'computer-janitor' for regex 'computer-janitor*'
The following packages will be REMOVED:
computer-janitor* computer-janitor-gtk*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 516kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 427047 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing computer-janitor-gtk ...
Removing computer-janitor ...
Purging configuration files for computer-janitor ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...