Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 PM
NoOp

Default Lucid office trap

On 09/15/2011 01:50 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Yes. Of course.

>>> Well, I have a set of old selections lists, so I should be able to figure
>>> out
>>> what portions I used to have.

>>> Thanks. This looks workable, but I'll wait a bit
>>> 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
>>> 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
>>> 3. I'll avoid synaptic dependency hell, or the threat of it, as long as
>>

>> There is an easier way to remove PPA.
>>

>> In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories->Other Software, and remove
>> the repository (the PPA) you want.
>
> Does that do all that ppa-purge does? Uninstalling the ppa packages
> and restoring the originals?
>
> Colin

No. ppa-purge is a set of scripts that purges the ppa and reinstalls
what the ppa replaced.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-backports/ppa-purge
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ppa-purge

Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15 September 2011 21:40, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is an easier way to remove PPA.
>>

>> In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories->Other Software, and remove
>> the repository (the PPA) you want.
>
> Does that do all that ppa-purge does? *Uninstalling the ppa packages
> and restoring the originals?

No, this only removes the PPAs. Under simple conditions, usually one
can remove the installed packages himself/herself.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 03:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 15 September 2011 21:40, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is an easier way to remove PPA.
>>>

>>> In Synaptic, go to Settings->Repositories->Other Software, and remove
>>> the repository (the PPA) you want.
>>
>> Does that do all that ppa-purge does? Uninstalling the ppa packages
>> and restoring the originals?
>

> No, this only removes the PPAs. Under simple conditions, usually one
> can remove the installed packages himself/herself.

So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
??

Let's have a look:
<https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>

You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand? Or to go
through each one to see if it was installed (by hand). Not to mention
all of the OOo packages that the ppa removed in the process... Your
advise (IMO) is both simplistic and wrong.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Alan Pope

On 16 September 2011 00:18, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
> ??

Yes. ppa purge then

sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>

Where <packagename> is whichever package you installed from the ppa,
for example 'libreoffice'. That will remove libreoffice _and_ any
packages that it depends on, so long as they are not required by any
other applications.

> Let's have a look:
> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>

> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand?

You almost never need to remove them all individually by hand. That's
what autoremove is for.

Al.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 04:40 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 16 September 2011 00:18, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
>> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
>> ??
>
> Yes. ppa purge then
>
> sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>
>
> Where <packagename> is whichever package you installed from the ppa,
> for example 'libreoffice'. That will remove libreoffice _and_ any
> packages that it depends on, so long as they are not required by any
> other applications.
>
>> Let's have a look:
>> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>>

>> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand?
>
> You almost never need to remove them all individually by hand. That's
> what autoremove is for.
>
> Al.

Have you actually tried this?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 05:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 04:40 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 16 September 2011 00:18, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
>>> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
>>> ??
>>
>> Yes. ppa purge then
>>
>> sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>
>>
>> Where <packagename> is whichever package you installed from the ppa,
>> for example 'libreoffice'. That will remove libreoffice _and_ any
>> packages that it depends on, so long as they are not required by any
>> other applications.
>>
>>> Let's have a look:
>>> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>>>

>>> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand?
>>
>> You almost never need to remove them all individually by hand. That's
>> what autoremove is for.
>>
>> Al.
>>

> Have you actually tried this?

Didn't think so.

So let's see that happens when the libreoffice ppa gets installed via
Synaptic:

To be removed:
openoffice.org
openoffice.org-base
openoffice.org-base-core
openoffice.org-calc
openoffice.org-core
openoffice.org-draw
openoffice.org-emailmerge
openoffice.org-filter-finfilter
openoffice.org-gnome
openoffice.org-gtk
openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-impress
openoffice.org-math
openoffice.org-officebean
openoffice.org-writer
python-uno

To be installed:
gcj-4.4 base
gcj-4.4-jre-lib
libcommons-beanutils-java
libcommons-collections3-java
libcommons-compress-java
libcommons-digester-java
libcommongs-logging-java
libdb-je-java
libdb4.7-java
libdb4.7-java-gci
libgcj-bc
libbcj-common
libgcj10
libcu4j-java
libjaxp1.3-java
libjaxp1.3-java
libjline-java
libjtidy-java
liblucene2-java
libregexp-java

To be upgraded
uno-libs3
ure

And of course that's not counting the libreoffice packages that get
installed... and of course if you can actually install the 'libreoffice'
package on lucid without broken/depends errors.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

>* 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.

>* 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.

I'm assuming you know OO fairly well, so please let us know what you think of LO, if you have time in the future.

I do, and I will.

I'm guessing that LO started with the code base of OO, so I don't really expect a great difference.* I will say that when I start it up, I'm a little surprised at how quickly it's ready.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 05:42 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>
>> > 1. As long as I have LO loaded I'll try it for a while.
>> > 2. I might like it well enough to keep LO.
>>
>> ****
>>
>> I'm assuming you know OO fairly well, so please let us know what you think
>> of LO, if you have time in the future. ****
>>

> I do, and I will.
>
> I'm guessing that LO started with the code base of OO, so I don't really
> expect a great difference. I will say that when I start it up, I'm a little
> surprised at how quickly it's ready.

You'd be several million lines of code wrong:

http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-09-06.html

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 03:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> No, this only removes the PPAs. Under simple conditions, usually one
>> can remove the installed packages himself/herself.
>
> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
> ??
>
> Let's have a look:
> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>
> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand? Or to go
> through each one to see if it was installed (by hand). Not to mention
> all of the OOo packages that the ppa removed in the process... Your
> advise (IMO) is both simplistic and wrong.

Actually, this is what I do under GNOME:

After removing a PPA,

1. I look at Synaptic's File->History, which also provides a Search
function, find the primary packages that were installed by this PPA,
uninstall them,

2. and then I run Computer Janitor (or sudo apt-get autoremove).

I have to remind that there is no "1 true way" that satisfies all
requirements (some of them being even contradictive), so your approach
may be suitable for much complex situations.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 06:39 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 09/15/2011 03:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>
>>> No, this only removes the PPAs. Under simple conditions, usually one
>>> can remove the installed packages himself/herself.
>>
>> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
>> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
>> ??
>>
>> Let's have a look:
>> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>>
>> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand? Or to go
>> through each one to see if it was installed (by hand). Not to mention
>> all of the OOo packages that the ppa removed in the process... Your
>> advise (IMO) is both simplistic and wrong.
>

> Actually, this is what I do under GNOME:
>
> After removing a PPA,
>
> 1. I look at Synaptic's File->History, which also provides a Search
> function, find the primary packages that were installed by this PPA,
> uninstall them,
>
> 2. and then I run Computer Janitor (or sudo apt-get autoremove).

If you use Computer Janitor then you have considerably larger issues
than the OP.

Here's an excercise for you (don't forget to use lucid 10.04):

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common
$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Now go and uninstall libreoffice via Synaptic & reinstall
OpenOffice.org. Don't forget to let us know how that works out for you.