Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Colin Law

Default incessant lockout screens with request for password

On 15 September 2011 11:01, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On Thu, September 15, 2011 11:29, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 15 September 2011 10:22, nepal <nepal.roade@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Best of luck with that. I first saw that problem with 9.04, it would
>>> not fix by any settings I changed or even by removing the power manager
>>> and screensaver packages from the system, the f***ing thing would still
>>> blank the screen. So I gave up on 10.04 (which still had the problem)
>>> and moved to using Mint which didn't have the proble.
>>>
>>> About 2 weeks ago I tried a fresh install of natty? the one with the
>>> poorly thought out icon interface. I quite liked some of the new
>>> features, but the screen blanking problem persists, so I haven't used
>>> it since.
>>
>> Can you point us to your bug report please?
>
> Colin,
>
> A nicer question would have been "did you file a bug report at the time,
> and can you point us to it?".

True, but I did not notice anything particularly nice about the guys
post (nepal that is).

> He probably didn't, because few people even know that this is possible.
> And those that do find the proper way often experience some frustration.
> For example I have a bug report that hasn't been fixed for a couple of
> years. Every few months someone adds a new comment, but I guess the best
> way to "fix" the problem, is to wait until the affected piece of hardware
> has become obsolete.

I would agree with you with the average user but this one (nepal)
knows all about removing specific packages, switching to Mint and so
on. There is no excuse for not filing a bug in this case, and
certainly no way that he should rant about the problem and use
expletives, deleted or not, if he has not filed a bug.
I also agree that the process of bug reporting can be frustrating.
But one cannot complain that a problem has not been sorted if it has
not been reported.

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM, <barryeisenberg@comcast.net> wrote:
> My startup screen reads: Ubuntu with Linux 2.6** 38-8-generic****** Does
> that help?

That is Ubuntu 11.04 I suppose. To verify, check the menu item
System->About Ubuntu,

or System->Administration->System Monitor->System an tell us.

Regarding the screen issue:

Click to the switch icon on the top right, and go to System Settings.
There go inside Personal area, to Screensaver.

DISABLE the options: "Activate screensaver when computer is idle", and
"Lock Screen when screensaver is active".

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM

I followed your instructions Ioannis and I think it will solve the problem. Thank you and bless you all for responding.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 20:24 +0000, barryeisenberg@comcast.net wrote:
> I followed your instructions Ioannis and I think it will solve the problem. Thank you and bless you all for responding .

Please don't top-post... notice practically no one else does. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Forgive my ignorance--"top-post"?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2011 05:52 PM, barryeisenberg@comcast.net wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance--"top-post"?

Proper quoting:
Write your email underneath the email which you are replying to.