Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Alan Pope

Default file system type = extended not able to mount

On 15 September 2011 00:32, shivam tiwari <bigbang4u2@gmail.com> wrote:
> /dev/sda1 fat16
> /dev/sda2 ntfs
> /dev/sda3 ntfs
> /dev/sda4 extended
> ** /dev/sda5 linux-swap
> ** /dev/sda6 ext4
> unallocated unallocated
>
> sda5 and sda6 are in dropdown list of sda4

5 and 6 are logical partitions _inside_ the extended partition of sda4. [0]

> I have windows7 installed on sda3, ubuntu 10.10 (upgrated to 11.04) on sda4
> and new ubuntu 11.04 on sda6.

I suspect you have done a new install over the top of whatever you had
in 4, and have now lost it.

Al.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#Extended_partition

Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 PM
shivam tiwari

So is there any way to retrieve those files from my system

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

On 15 September 2011 00:32, shivam tiwari <bigbang4u2@gmail.com> wrote:

> /dev/sda1 fat16

> /dev/sda2 ntfs

> /dev/sda3 ntfs

> /dev/sda4 extended

> ** /dev/sda5 linux-swap

> ** /dev/sda6 ext4

> unallocated unallocated

> sda5 and sda6 are in dropdown list of sda4

5 and 6 are logical partitions _inside_ the extended partition of sda4. [0]

> I have windows7 installed on sda3, ubuntu 10.10 (upgrated to 11.04) on sda4

> and new ubuntu 11.04 on sda6.

I suspect you have done a new install over the top of whatever you had

in 4, and have now lost it.

Al.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#Extended_partition

Regards

Shivam Tiwari

Graduate student*

CISE Department

University of* Florida,

Gainesville FL 32611

Email - shivam@cise.ufl.edu

Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Alan Pope

On 15 September 2011 00:45, shivam tiwari <shivam.tiwari2009@gmail.com> wrote:
> So is there any way to retrieve those files from my system

It was somewhat of a guess on my part. So you'd need to confim that's
what happened. The file /var/log/installer/partman on your Ubuntu
install on sda6 may reveal it. Maybe you could post yours on pastebin?
It requires sudo to read that file.

Al.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
shivam tiwari