Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Nick I

Default Booting up

I just done my first ever install of Ubuntu 7.10 from a CD of ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso - everything went OK, but I'm unfamiliar with linux.

When I boot up it requests username then password but the desktop doesn't load, I just get username@ubuntu:~$ - if this is what's meant to happen, what do I do now? *If it isn't, what's the fix?

--*

Cheers, Nick

ubuntu@square-sun.net

Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 AM
James Takac

On Sunday 17 February 2008 17:18:28 Nick I wrote:
> I just done my first ever install of Ubuntu 7.10 from a CD of
> ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso - everything went OK, but I'm unfamiliar with
> linux. When I boot up it requests username then password but the desktop
> doesn't load, I just get username@ubuntu:~$ - if this is what's meant to
> happen, what do I do now? If it isn't, what's the fix?

Hi Nick

I'm no expert re this but I believe the server edition doesn't come with a
desktop installed. That has to be installed on top so to speak. Gnome desktop
being the more common I think. if you prefer a gui to work from then you need
to install your prefered desktop. Others here will likely be able to better
help you.

James

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Nick I

Can Gnome be installed on top of the server version of ubuntu?

I tried to install the desktop version of ubuntu but the installation hung up after the progress bar disppaeared and before any kind of installation dialogue. *I checked the CD integrity and it came up OK.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Nick I

Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Nils Kassube

Nick I wrote:
> Can Gnome be installed on top of the server version of ubuntu?

Yes. Use the command

sudo apt-get install ubunut-desktop

and it should automatically install all the other stuff necessary.

Nils

Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:38 +0000, Nick I wrote:

> I tried to install the desktop version of ubuntu but the installation
> hung up after the progress bar disppaeared and before any kind of
> installation dialogue.

You could try the Alternate CD, which installs the desktop version but
with a text-based installer. Always worked for me when the Desktop
(Live) CD wouldn't

Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Karl Larsen

Nick I wrote:
> I just done my first ever install of Ubuntu 7.10 from a CD of ubuntu-7.10-server-i386.iso - everything went OK, but I'm unfamiliar with linux.
> When I boot up it requests username then password but the desktop doesn't load, I just get username@ubuntu:~$ - if this is what's meant to happen, what do I do now? If it isn't, what's the fix?

If you want a server then you loaded the right software. If you want
X windows your out of luck. Load the proper Ubuntu.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Karl Larsen

Nick I wrote:
> Can Gnome be installed on top of the server version of ubuntu?

Yes, but not by you I think.

> I tried to install the desktop version of ubuntu but the installation hung up after the progress bar disppaeared and before any kind of installation dialogue. I checked the CD integrity and it came up OK.

Tell us what kind of computer you have. On your computer right now
please do $ sudo lspci and send that with the other information.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris Jones

> Yes. Use the command
>
> sudo apt-get install ubunut-desktop

Just to be pedantic, there is a typo above. The correct command is

> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

cheers Chris