Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Colin Law

Default netbook, close, suspend: ACPI?

On 14 September 2011 05:35, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small netbook that I broke the screen.
>
> I use it as a headless gateway now (the VGA port is still OK when needed, I
> just have to plug a screen).
>
> I just noticed that if I "close" (or fold) it, after a while it goes to
> suspend state (or hibernate I dont know exactly). I have to "open" it and
> press the power button in order to make it. If I dont close it, it's
> alright, nothing to say.
>
> How to avoid going to a sleepy state when closed? I want to close it for
> esthetic reasons.

Go to System Settings > Hardware > Power Management, or if you are
still using the classic interface then System > Preferences > Power
Management and there you will be able to set the action when the lid
is closed to Blank Screen. It should then not suspend when you close
the lid.

Colin

> I guess it's about disabling some ACPI, but what is the Debian/Ubuntu way to
> do that?
>
> --
> RMA.

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Go to System Settings> Hardware> Power Management, or if you are
still using the classic interface then System> Preferences> Power
Management and there you will be able to set the action when the lid
is closed to Blank Screen.

As headless machine, I did not instal DE.
Nothing at GRUB level, such as some boot options to append?

--
RMA.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:34:01 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> I have a small netbook that I broke the screen.
>
> I use it as a headless gateway now (the VGA port is still OK when
> needed, I just have to plug a screen).
>
> I just noticed that if I "close" (or fold) it, after a while it goes to
> suspend state (or hibernate I dont know exactly). I have to "open" it
> and press the power button in order to make it. If I dont close it, it's
> alright, nothing to say.
>
> How to avoid going to a sleepy state when closed? I want to close it for
> esthetic reasons.
>
> I guess it's about disabling some ACPI, but what is the Debian way to do
> that?

This is usually set under power-management settings (you have to remove
the option to put the computer into sleep state when closing the lid,
basically set it to "do nothing") but steps may vary if you are running a
DE like GNOME/KDE or no DE at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Colin Law

On 14 September 2011 12:19, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 10:25 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> Go to System Settings> *Hardware> *Power Management, or if you are
>> still using the classic interface then System> *Preferences> *Power
>> Management and there you will be able to set the action when the lid
>> is closed to Blank Screen.
>
> As headless machine, I did not instal DE.

Sorry, what is DE?

> Nothing at GRUB level, such as some boot options to append?

It is nothing to do with booting, you just need to set the configuration.

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Steve Flynn

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 14 September 2011 12:19, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:

> On 09/14/2011 10:25 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>> Go to System Settings> *Hardware> *Power Management, or if you are

>> still using the classic interface then System> *Preferences> *Power

>> Management and there you will be able to set the action when the lid

>> is closed to Blank Screen.

> As headless machine, I did not instal DE.

Sorry, what is DE?

Desktop Environment. The guy can't go to Settings / Hardware / PowerManagement as he has no desktop. He should be altering the config files which control these things

/etc/default/acpi-support perhaps.

Can't check - only have AIX machines available here

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Colin Law

On 14 September 2011 12:19, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 10:25 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> Go to System Settings> *Hardware> *Power Management, or if you are
>> still using the classic interface then System> *Preferences> *Power
>> Management and there you will be able to set the action when the lid
>> is closed to Blank Screen.
>
> As headless machine, I did not instal DE.
> Nothing at GRUB level, such as some boot options to append?

I don't know the answer but googling for
"ubuntu server" laptop suspend lid
yields a number of hits. This one might help.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/30011/can-i-modify-power-management-settings-on-a-laptop-running-ubuntu-server

Colin
--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Arief M Utama

Look at acpi-support / acpi-scripts (I forgot the exact package name) files.

Try look in /etc/acpi or /etc/pm (debian and ubuntu can be quite
different about acpi, and I've been back in debian for some time so
kinda forget a bit about ubuntu)

Command to look for package files is:

dpkg -L packagename

Hope it helps.

All the best.
-arief

Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Alexander Batischev

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 07:34:01AM +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> I just noticed that if I "close" (or fold) it, after a while it goes
> to suspend state (or hibernate I dont know exactly). I have to
> "open" it and press the power button in order to make it.

If you need to press power button in order to wake the computer, it's
hibernate. To wake up from sleep it's enough to press any key at
keyboard.

> How to avoid going to a sleepy state when closed? I want to close it
> for esthetic reasons.
>
> I guess it's about disabling some ACPI, but what is the Debian way
> to do that?

If you don't have any DE installed, it should be enough to go to
/etc/acpi/events, find the file that describes reaction to closed lid
and then making appropriate script non-executable. Say, if in event file
you saw the line:

action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh

then you need to do the following:

$ sudo chmod -x /etc/acpi/lid.sh

Note, though, that it may became executable again once you update the
package (I not sure about that, though).

If you have some DE installed, check your settings - it should be there.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81