Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Chris Lemire

Default wireless usb network adapter problem

I'm trying to use a wireless usb network adapter on another computer running Debian 4.0. It is stable right now, but I plan on upgrading it to testing. I've used this wireless network adapter on other computers before, and it works just fine with ndiswrapper as long as I'm not using 64 bit Linux. When I plug it into the computer, the green light does not come on, and lsusb does not show it. I've tried both usb ports with the same results. dmesg shows this after unplugging it and plugging it into another usb port.

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 95
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 96
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 97
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 97, error -71
usb
1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 98
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 98, error -71
ndiswrapper version 1.51 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 99
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 100
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 101
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 101, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 102
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 102, error -71
debian:~#

I guess that info is useless, but it shows that Linux can see something is being plugged into the usb port though it can't distinguish what it is. What's the
solution to this problem?

Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

SKYPE: fakie_flip
AIM: good bye300
IRC: linux_user400354
LQ FORUMS: fakie_flp
GTALK AND MSN: christopher.lemire@gmail.com

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
John Bowden

On Sunday 17 February 2008 03:38:25 Chris Lemire wrote:
> I'm trying to use a wireless usb network adapter on another computer
> running Debian 4.0. It is stable right now, but I plan on upgrading it to
> testing. I've used this wireless network adapter on other computers before,
> and it works just fine with ndiswrapper as long as I'm not using 64 bit
> Linux. When I plug it into the computer, the green light does not come on,
> and lsusb does not show it. I've tried both usb ports with the same
> results. dmesg shows this after unplugging it and plugging it into another
> usb port.
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 95
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 96
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 97
> usb 1-1: device not accepting address 97, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 98
> usb 1-1: device not accepting address 98, error -71
> ndiswrapper version 1.51 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
> usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 99
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 100
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 101
> usb 1-1: device not accepting address 101, error -71
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 102
> usb 1-1: device not accepting address 102, error -71
> debian:~#
>
> I guess that info is useless, but it shows that Linux can see something is
> being plugged into the usb port though it can't distinguish what it is.
> What's the solution to this problem?
>

> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
>
> SKYPE: fakie_flip
> AIM: good bye300
> IRC: linux_user400354
> LQ FORUMS: fakie_flp
> GTALK AND MSN: christopher.lemire@gmail.com

Just a guess are you plugging a USB2 device into a USB1 socket? what is the
model / make of the USB network adaptor?

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)