Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Colin Law

Default What up with this weird tab completion in Ubuntu??

On 12 September 2011 10:07, Santanu Chatterjee <thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am on Ubuntu 11.04. I have noticed this weird tab completion
> behavior at the terminals.
> For example:
>
> Previously:
> ========
> '$ ls ~/Docum<TAB>'
>
> would give:
> ========
> '$ ls ~/Documents/'
>
> which would allow me to type a few more characters and press TAB again
> for further completion.
>
> NOW:
> =====
> '$ ls ~/Docum<TAB>'
>
> gives:
> ====
> '$ ls ~/Documents '
>
> Note the irritating space after the directory name completion above.

Are you sure that in this case there is not a *file* called Documents
(rather than a directory)?

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Santanu Chatterjee

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure that in this case there is not a *file* called Documents
> (rather than a directory)?

Yup. Absolutely :-)

-Santanu

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Colin Law

On 12 September 2011 13:38, Santanu Chatterjee <thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that in this case there is not a *file* called Documents
>> (rather than a directory)?
>
> Yup. Absolutely :-)

Do you see this for all directories or is it specific to Documents?
Do you see the effect if you log on as a different user?
Which shell are you using, use
echo $SHELL
or
ps -p $$

Unfortunately you have snipped the original question so anyone reading
this will have to look back in the thread to see what we are talking
about.

Colin

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Santanu Chatterjee
<thisissantanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that in this case there is not a *file* called Documents
>> (rather than a directory)?
>
> Yup. Absolutely :-)

It works OK for me in 11.04 32-bit. What version do you have? Have you
installed all updates?

Did you try another directory?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Rashkae

I am on Ubuntu 11.04. I have noticed this weird tab completion
behavior at the terminals.
For example:

Previously:
========
'$ ls ~/Docum<TAB>'

would give:
========
'$ ls ~/Documents/'

which would allow me to type a few more characters and press TAB again
for further completion.

NOW:
=====
'$ ls ~/Docum<TAB>'

gives:
====
'$ ls ~/Documents'

Note the irritating space after the directory name completion above.

How do I get back the previous behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the reference so far, but this issue
was brought up before, and there is a bugzilla entry with a solution
available.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Rashkae

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/768876

Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Rashkae

Replying to myself one last time, but this Launchpad entry has more
detail and more ways to correct it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/769866

Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Santanu Chatterjee

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 10:03 AM, Rashkae wrote:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/768876
>>

> Replying to myself one last time, but this Launchpad entry has more detail
> and more ways to correct it:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/769866

Thank you. This solved my issue. I just had to fix a single line at
/etc/bash_completion.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Santanu