Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default Partition Reorganization

Hello Ubuntu System Experts
May I ask you for your advice and guidance to overcome a special
problem ?

After reorganizing my HDD with gParted it looks like following:
hda1 / ntfs (WIN XPP original installation)
hda2 / ext3 (Ubuntu installation)
hda3 / extended part (rest of HDD)
hda6 / copy of hda2 (my first Ubuntu installation)
swap at the end of the extended partition

How can I get Ubuntu starting with the one in hda6 ???

Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu partitions it shows hda2 !!

Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or Ubuntu ?
Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest configuration ?

TIA for your prompt assistance and hints.
Cheers, svobi

Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>
wrote:

> Hello Ubuntu System Experts
> May I ask you for your advice and guidance to
> overcome a special
> problem ?
>
> After reorganizing my HDD with gParted it looks like
> following:
> hda1 / ntfs (WIN XPP original installation)
> hda2 / ext3 (Ubuntu installation)
> hda3 / extended part (rest of HDD)
> hda6 / copy of hda2 (my first Ubuntu installation)
> swap at the end of the extended partition
>
> How can I get Ubuntu starting with the one in hda6
> ???
>
> Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu partitions
> it shows hda2 !!
>
> Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or Ubuntu
> ?
> Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest
> configuration ?
>
> TIA for your prompt assistance and hints.
> Cheers, svobi

Hello SYHass, I'm no expert so take what I say with
caution. That said, have you considered taking the
boot tic off of hda2 and ticing it on hda6. I think
that should work. If not someone will surely correct
me. HTH.
Good Luck, You probably want to run "sudo
update-grub" or "grub-update". Can't remember which.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 18:36 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Ubuntu System Experts
> > May I ask you for your advice and guidance to
> > overcome a special
> > problem ?
> >
> > After reorganizing my HDD with gParted it looks like
> > following:
> > hda1 / ntfs (WIN XPP original installation)
> > hda2 / ext3 (Ubuntu installation)
> > hda3 / extended part (rest of HDD)
> > hda6 / copy of hda2 (my first Ubuntu installation)
> > swap at the end of the extended partition
> >
> > How can I get Ubuntu starting with the one in hda6
> > ???
> >
> > Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu partitions
> > it shows hda2 !!
> >
> > Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or Ubuntu
> > ?
> > Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest
> > configuration ?
> >
> > TIA for your prompt assistance and hints.
> > Cheers, svobi
> >
> Hello SYHass, I'm no expert so take what I say with
> caution. That said, have you considered taking the
> boot tic off of hda2 and ticing it on hda6. I think
> that should work. If not someone will surely correct
> me. HTH.
> Good Luck, You probably want to run "sudo
> update-grub" or "grub-update". Can't remember which.
> Leonard Chatagnier

Hi Leonard
My name is svobi ;-)
Thanks for your feedback and concerns regarding my sensitive action !

Due its sensitivity I have no courage to play'n risk and need confirmed
and
proven steps to get my Ubuntu boot changed from hda2 to the copied and
therefor identical hda6 !!

Had tried to get a better impression with S.G.D (Super Grub Disk) and
noticed that both partitions are recognized. Tried to get it changed
to hda6 but didn't workout as expected.

My assumption:
While system boots I am able to choose my OS (Ubuntu or Win XPP) and
deciding for Ubuntu ... both the menu.lst points to the same hda2 !?

There MUST be another mark to point to either Ubuntu (old / in hda2) or
Ubuntu (new / in hda6) !?
This may/must happen in the MBR entry !?

Yes, I still have too many question marks here and
therefor I am not feeling comfortable to erase my old Ubuntu and
risk a newmbr with the most accurate und wanted Ubuntu in hda6. ;-)

Any more, especially secure, hints are very very appreciated. ;-))

TIA and cheers,
svobi

Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Sam Fielder

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 18:36 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> --- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Ubuntu System Experts
>>> May I ask you for your advice and guidance to
>>> overcome a special
>>> problem ?
>>>
>>> After reorganizing my HDD with gParted it looks like
>>> following:
>>> hda1 / ntfs (WIN XPP original installation)
>>> hda2 / ext3 (Ubuntu installation)
>>> hda3 / extended part (rest of HDD)
>>> hda6 / copy of hda2 (my first Ubuntu installation)
>>> swap at the end of the extended partition
>>>
>>> How can I get Ubuntu starting with the one in hda6
>>> ???
>>>
>>> Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu partitions
>>> it shows hda2 !!
>>>
>>> Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or Ubuntu
>>> ?
>>> Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest
>>> configuration ?
>>>
>>> TIA for your prompt assistance and hints.
>>> Cheers, svobi
>>>
>> Hello SYHass, I'm no expert so take what I say with
>> caution. That said, have you considered taking the
>> boot tic off of hda2 and ticing it on hda6. I think
>> that should work. If not someone will surely correct
>> me. HTH.
>> Good Luck, You probably want to run "sudo
>> update-grub" or "grub-update". Can't remember which.
>> Leonard Chatagnier
>

> Hi Leonard
> My name is svobi ;-)
> Thanks for your feedback and concerns regarding my sensitive action !
>
> Due its sensitivity I have no courage to play'n risk and need confirmed
> and
> proven steps to get my Ubuntu boot changed from hda2 to the copied and
> therefor identical hda6 !!
>
> Had tried to get a better impression with S.G.D (Super Grub Disk) and
> noticed that both partitions are recognized. Tried to get it changed
> to hda6 but didn't workout as expected.
>
> My assumption:
> While system boots I am able to choose my OS (Ubuntu or Win XPP) and
> deciding for Ubuntu ... both the menu.lst points to the same hda2 !?
>
> There MUST be another mark to point to either Ubuntu (old / in hda2) or
> Ubuntu (new / in hda6) !?
> This may/must happen in the MBR entry !?
>
> Yes, I still have too many question marks here and
> therefor I am not feeling comfortable to erase my old Ubuntu and
> risk a newmbr with the most accurate und wanted Ubuntu in hda6. ;-)
>
> Any more, especially secure, hints are very very appreciated. ;-))
>
> TIA and cheers,
> svobi

save a copy of /boot/grub/menu.lst as menu.old (or whatever you want as
long as you remember what you call it) sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst
/boot/grub/menu.old

open /boot/grub/menu.lst as root (sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst)

find this section:

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=082dbe45-849c-4ed0-92d3-9b5cb01907ab ro

the last line is the line you need to modify.
Where mine says kopt=root=UUID... replace with your dev/hda6 (as in the
example above it)

the last line should now read:
# kopt=root=dev/hda6 ro

this sets up the command for grub to reconfigure itself.(which we will
do in a minute)

first, though, check here:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
root=UUID=082dbe45-849c-4ed0-92d3-9b5cb01907ab ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

you should have a section similar to this. on the lines that begin with
'root' you should see the identifier we replaced earlier. (UUID=...)

confirm that and save menu.lst and quit

in a terminal enter sudo update-grub
this tells grub to re-read its config and re-write itself.

open boot/grub/menu.lst again and scroll down to the section we just
looked at and you should see the hda6 on the line for root

as long as your hda6 partition is good you should be ok to reboot and
you will be running on hda6 instead of hda2.

if you have any problems just restore the menu.old to menu,lst and
reboot (you may have to use the live cd to get to the file system and
make the change)

good luck

sam

Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 18:36 -0800, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Ubuntu System Experts
> > > May I ask you for your advice and guidance to
> > > overcome a special
> > > problem ?
> > > snip
> > > Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu
> partitions
> > > it shows hda2 !!

Yes, and it will until you change the bootable flag on
hda2. You can leave hda2 as bootable and just make
hda6 bootable also, if thats what you want. I would
just have one bootable.

> > > Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or
> Ubuntu
You select which one you want during bootup when the
grub menu starts, just hit escape to open the
selection. You will see an entry for windows and an
entry for ubuntu for each kernel you have installed
and also a rescue entry for each of these entries..
Assuming you are using grub as your boot loader and
not lilo.

> > > ?
> > > Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest
> > > configuration ?

You don't need to run mbr unless you are not able to
boot windows.

> > > TIA for your prompt assistance and hints.
> > > Cheers, svobi
> > >
> > Hello SYHass, I'm no expert so take what I say
> with
> > caution. That said, have you considered taking
> the
> > boot tic off of hda2 and ticing it on hda6. I
> think
> > that should work. If not someone will surely
> correct
> > me. HTH.
> > Good Luck, You probably want to run "sudo
> > update-grub" or "grub-update". Can't remember
> which.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
>

> Hi Leonard
> My name is svobi ;-)
> Thanks for your feedback and concerns regarding my
> sensitive action !
>
> Due its sensitivity I have no courage to play'n risk
> and need confirmed
> and
> proven steps to get my Ubuntu boot changed from hda2
> to the copied and
> therefor identical hda6 !!

Ok, then wait for someone you have more confidence in.

> Had tried to get a better impression with S.G.D
> (Super Grub Disk) and
> noticed that both partitions are recognized. Tried
> to get it changed
> to hda6 but didn't workout as expected.

I dont't know anything about the SGD disc but you
don't really need it. You have to change the bootable
flag with any good partitioner(make sure the drive you
change is not mounted) to bootable on hda6 if you want
to boot it and see it in the grub startup menu.

> My assumption:
> While system boots I am able to choose my OS (Ubuntu
> or Win XPP) and
> deciding for Ubuntu ... both the menu.lst points to
> the same hda2 !?

Yes and it will until you remove the bootable flag on
it with some partitioner.

> There MUST be another mark to point to either Ubuntu
> (old / in hda2) or
> Ubuntu (new / in hda6) !?
> This may/must happen in the MBR entry !?

No, that's not how you change which partition it
bootable. it's as I said above.

> Yes, I still have too many question marks here and
> therefor I am not feeling comfortable to erase my
> old Ubuntu and
> risk a newmbr with the most accurate und wanted
> Ubuntu in hda6. ;-)

By all means don't erase your hda2 partition unless
you want to free up that partition for something else.
Just remove the bootable flag on it and it will not
longer be bootable but still can be mounted and
operated upon.

> Any more, especially secure, hints are very very
> appreciated. ;-))

If you haven't received a response from someone else,
I', sure you will shortly but I think they will tell
you the same thing. Good luck. Hope this helps some.

> TIA and cheers,
> svobi

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-17-2008, 06:07 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 22:06 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
> > Ubuntu (new / in hda6) !?
> > This may/must happen in the MBR entry !?
> >
> No, that's not how you change which partition it
> bootable. it's as I said above.
>
> > Yes, I still have too many question marks here and
> > therefor I am not feeling comfortable to erase my
> > old Ubuntu and
> > risk a newmbr with the most accurate und wanted
> > Ubuntu in hda6. ;-)
>
> By all means don't erase your hda2 partition unless
> you want to free up that partition for something else.
> Just remove the bootable flag on it and it will not
> longer be bootable but still can be mounted and
> operated upon.
>

> > Any more, especially secure, hints are very very
> > appreciated. ;-))
> >
> If you haven't received a response from someone else,
> I', sure you will shortly but I think they will tell
> you the same thing. Good luck. Hope this helps some.

Merci beaucoup, Leonard
Thanks a lot for your help and one point first - you wrote:

> OK, then wait for someone you have more confidence in.

It's not confidence to someone else ...
... it's more my own confidence and (missing) experience & knowledge ...
... since I never did it before ! ;-)

As a Ubuntu newbie since late Fall 2007 I am still on my first insecure
discovery steps !! ;-))

I just want to make sure I really do understand what I am told to do
and
try to avoid any problems I may not being able to deal with !!! ;-|

I got another description of how to do but I am still same insecure with
it too.

Just tried to get the menu.lst in hda6 changed accordingly and
got NO access to that. ;-( You see I am on very wacky feets. ;-)

One more (personal) problem with my system:
It's my very first installation and there is only ONE SINGLE partition
for whole Ubuntu 7.10 !

Generally and normally I would never do so !!!

In all my installations in more than 20 years I always used to split
explicitly into
system / apps / data !

Well, Ubuntu deals somewhat differently and I am on my learning way to
find my best configuration !!

However I am sure, /home will soon go off the current location and I may
run Ubuntu with
root / swap / home and perhaps (!?) or not boot !?

I better stop here and start reading and studying your and the other
cookbook
to get my Ubuntu menu done well ! ;-)

Once again merci and cheers,
svobi

Old 02-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Nils Kassube

Some remarks:

1. The boot flag is not important for Linux. My main machine was installed
as dual boot for Windows/Linux and I have changed it to Linux only some
time ago. The boot flag is still active for the former Windows partition
which is only a data partition now.

2. You have to edit /etc/fstab of the hda6 partition. Change the partition
entry for / and make it /dev/hda6 (or use the appropriate UUID). If you
had an entry for the hda6 partition before, remove it or replace the
device name with /dev/hda2.

3. Don't overwrite the installation in hda2 because the menu.lst file from
_that_ partition is used for booting. You will have to run grub-install
for the new location - but you should better wait until you can reliably
boot from hda6. Then copy the menu.lst file from hda2
to /boot/grub/menu.lst in hda6. While running the system of hda6, use

grub-install /dev/hda

to make grub use the menu.lst of hda6.

Nils

Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Hi Leonard, Sam and Nils
Thanks a lot for your very appreciated assistance !

Something has gone wrong and already on sda6 I ran into a fsck failing
at system boot !!
With GParted and the S.G.D. (Super Grub Disk) I am back again with wacky
knees !!! ;-)

I am unable to tell what has gone wrong and I am happy to be back and
as for the moment I better stop my experiments until I get back my
normal breathe. ;-D

Cheers, svobi

Old 02-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>
> wrote:
>
>> After reorganizing my HDD with gParted it looks like
>> following:
>> hda1 / ntfs (WIN XPP original installation)
>> hda2 / ext3 (Ubuntu installation)
>> hda3 / extended part (rest of HDD)
>> hda6 / copy of hda2 (my first Ubuntu installation)
>> swap at the end of the extended partition
>>
>> How can I get Ubuntu starting with the one in hda6
>> ???
>>
>> Well, in the menu.lst of both the Ubuntu partitions
>> it shows hda2 !!

You weren't expecting the one on hda6 to know it had been moved were you?
Computers aren't that smart yet :-)

Change the line beginning:
# kopt
to point to the correct root filesystem. Note, this may well be a UUID -
and you had better have different UUIDs on the partitions (if you copied
one to the other with "dd", you don't - if you created a new filesystem
with mkfs or a partition manager, you do).

Change the line:
# groot=(hd0,1)
to:
# groot=(hd0,5)

Copy that menu.lst to _both_ partitions ('coz you're going to start this
process from one and end it on the other).

Then run:
# sudo update-grub

>> Where is the pointer to direct either WIN or Ubuntu
>> ?
>> Is it MBR and how do I adjust it to my newest
>> configuration ?

In a default install, MBR points to the Grub first level loader. It finds
the menu.lst on your disk and builds the menu from that.

> Hello SYHass, I'm no expert so take what I say with
> caution. That said, have you considered taking the
> boot tic off of hda2 and ticing it on hda6. I think
> that should work. If not someone will surely correct
> me. HTH.

Ahem :-) Linux doesn't care about "boot tics" (I presume you mean
the "bootable" flag on the partition table - Windows doesn't even care
about it any more; Vista, at least, can boot from partitions not marked
bootable).
--
derek

Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Some remarks:
>
> 1. The boot flag is not important for Linux. My main
> machine was installed
> as dual boot for Windows/Linux and I have changed it
> to Linux only some
> time ago. The boot flag is still active for the
> former Windows partition
> which is only a data partition now.
>
> 2. You have to edit /etc/fstab of the hda6
> partition. Change the partition
> entry for / and make it /dev/hda6 (or use the
> appropriate UUID). If you
> had an entry for the hda6 partition before, remove
> it or replace the
> device name with /dev/hda2.
>
> 3. Don't overwrite the installation in hda2 because
> the menu.lst file from
> _that_ partition is used for booting. You will have
> to run grub-install
> for the new location - but you should better wait
> until you can reliably
> boot from hda6. Then copy the menu.lst file from
> hda2
> to /boot/grub/menu.lst in hda6. While running the
> system of hda6, use
>
> grub-install /dev/hda
>
> to make grub use the menu.lst of hda6.
>

>Nils, glad you did this, I, for one, didn't realize
the situation was so complex. From past experience, I
thought the boot flag had to be set when partitioning.
I'll file this away for future reference. Thanks,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net