Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Partition Reorganization

SYNass, Just forget what I said as I've never came
across your exact situation before and trying to be
helpful got me over my head. Heed what Nils has said
as he is one of the experts. Sorry if I caused you
some trouble.

--- SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Thanks, Derek, I needed that. Trying to help got me
over my head. Already gave my appology to SYNass.
Now, I may have learned something. My appologies to
the list.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Then run:
> # sudo update-grub

hmmm. I'm sure you want to do this, but Nils is probably right that you're
going to need to do "grub-install" from the new partition - otherwise it's
still going to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the second partition.
--
derek

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Nils Kassube

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Then run:
> > # sudo update-grub
>
> hmmm. I'm sure you want to do this, but Nils is probably right that
> you're going to need to do "grub-install" from the new partition -
> otherwise it's still going to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
> second partition.

Well, there may be another problem here. If there was a kernel update on
the hda2 partition AFTER the hda2 partition was coipied to hda6, the
menu.lst will not work from hda6 because the new kernel is not on that
partition. Therefore, I think it would be wise to run an update from the
system on hda6 before the grub-install command. It isn't really easy to
think of everything that can go wrong.

Nils

Old 02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > Then run:
>> > # sudo update-grub
>>
>> hmmm. I'm sure you want to do this, but Nils is probably right that
>> you're going to need to do "grub-install" from the new partition -
>> otherwise it's still going to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
>> second partition.
>
> Well, there may be another problem here. If there was a kernel update on
> the hda2 partition AFTER the hda2 partition was coipied to hda6,

You're getting into some pretty esoteric possibilities here :-) If he's
updated the kernel on the original partition since copying everything, the
missing kernel is likely just the very beginning of his problems...

--
derek

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 15:41 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
> >>
> >> hmmm. I'm sure you want to do this, but Nils is probably right that
> >> you're going to need to do "grub-install" from the new partition -
> >> otherwise it's still going to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
> >> second partition.
> >
> > Well, there may be another problem here. If there was a kernel update on
> > the hda2 partition AFTER the hda2 partition was coipied to hda6,
>
> You're getting into some pretty esoteric possibilities here :-) If he's
> updated the kernel on the original partition since copying everything, the
> missing kernel is likely just the very beginning of his problems...
>
> --
> derek

Hi Derek, Leonard, Nils and Sam
Again thanks a lot for all your very appreciated assistance !

My special compliment and comments are going to Leonard first:
You mentioned some insecure feelings at the begin !
I appreciate that very much: Even with more than 35 years in
professional IT I am always on a learning path and we all know
we have to !! ;-)

With my long years in IT I know myself best when it comes to
playground or sensitive tasks and accordingly I do behave !!! ;-D

Always trying to be prepared for (something / the) unexpected ...
... sometimes Murphy's law works more perfect then myself and
then: OOPpss. ;-((

Experience and knowledge are important !
Very important is also feeling support: Real and mental !!

Therefor I thank you all for assisting me in my sensitive task:
I haven't given up, I just postpone it until I understand better
what I have to do without sending my data to Nirwana !!!

At the moment I try to find out how to do backup best and easiest
for me as greenhorn. Having this backup and the knowledge how to
rrestore in case ...
... I will try following:

My current environment with sda1 / ntfs (Win XPP original installation
with
Ubuntu 7.1 in sda2 and SWAP in the extended will be changed into what
I already described earlier:

sda1 / ntfs / Win XPP (stays untouched)
sda2 / ext3 / current Ubuntu 7.1 (stays untouched till copied into
extended)
sda3 / extended / all the rest of the HDD
sda5 / SWAP / in extended
sda6 / new ext3 / for future Ubuntu 7.1 and replacing the one in sda2 !!
sda7 / new ext3 / for home, since I wanna have my personal data off the
rest !!!
any more ???

How do I ?

I will do everything with GParted and
after deleting sda2 I will RE-create MBR/GRUB with S.G.D. 0.9676
(Super Grub Disk, V 0.9676)

http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Your advice and guidance to continue and finish my Partition
Reorganization
perfectly is still sought and very appreciated. ;-)

Cheers, svobi