Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Ric Moore

Default Can't Update Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit to Ubuntu 11.10 64 Bit

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 12:41 -0400, jimmckenzie@earthlink.net wrote:
> First I'm new to the group and I'm not a programmer or System
> Administrator, any answers should be in "non-tech" please. I've had a
> computer for 19.5 years but until I found Ubuntu 11.04 it was "All
> MS-Dos & Windows"
>
> I'm trying to upgrade From Natty to Oneiric

If you're new, I sure wouldn't suggest that you install a beta version.
That attempt may lead to tears and frustration for the novice and much
angst and frustration for this list, during your learning curve. Learn
on what you have, for the here and now.

Just like Stimpy, even if Oneric is a new and shiny red candy-like
button, sometimes red is not a good color to push. <----non-tech style
advice. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 11/09/2011 21:00, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 12:41 -0400, jimmckenzie@earthlink.net wrote:
>> First I'm new to the group and I'm not a programmer or System
>> Administrator, any answers should be in "non-tech" please. I've had a
>> computer for 19.5 years but until I found Ubuntu 11.04 it was "All
>> MS-Dos & Windows"
>>
>> I'm trying to upgrade From Natty to Oneiric
> If you're new, I sure wouldn't suggest that you install a beta version.
> That attempt may lead to tears and frustration for the novice and much
> angst and frustration for this list, during your learning curve. Learn
> on what you have, for the here and now.
>
> Just like Stimpy, even if Oneric is a new and shiny red candy-like
> button, sometimes red is not a good color to push. <----non-tech style
> advice. Ric
Probably one of the best pieces of advice I've seen on this list. Thanks
Ric for spelling it out clearly in non-tech style.

I hope your answer will indeed lead to less tears and frustration on
this list!

Gilles

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Sun, September 11, 2011 18:41, jimmckenzie@earthlink.net wrote:
> First I'm new to the group and I'm not a programmer or System
> Administrator, any answers should be in "non-tech" please. I've had a
> computer for 19.5 years but until I found Ubuntu 11.04 it was "All MS-Dos
> & Windows"
>
> I'm trying to upgrade From Natty to Oneiric and can't seem to use the
> standard online update method. This what I've tried (Please excuse the
> barebones approach of how I type this in I suck as a typist.

If you are not a programmer or system administrator or someone who feels
otherwise comfortable with a computer when unexpected things happen, then
you should not upgrade to Oneiric before it is officially released and all
quality control has been done.

If you want help for the beta, then you will have to accept at least some
"tech" speak.

Kind regards,
Amedee Van Gasse

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM