Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Jeff

Default 1 gigabit NIC card troubles

I purchased a GA311 Netgear 1 gigabit NIC for my Ubuntu server (running
on 2.5 GHz Dell Precision 340). The card performs dismally. I read
online that the card does not do well with Linux.

So my questions are this:
First... is there any software out there to make the card perform?

SECOND... if not, what card would work as a standard PCI card with LINUX
for 1 gigabit NIC?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Res

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Jeff wrote:

> I purchased a GA311 Netgear 1 gigabit NIC for my Ubuntu server (running

Avoid netgear nic's at all cost

> SECOND... if not, what card would work as a standard PCI card with LINUX
> for 1 gigabit NIC?

Intel pro 1000 is the ultimate choice, but if you cant get a hold of one,
try the broadcom (used in Dell servers)

--
Cheers
Res

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Asdtaker

I purchased a GA311 Netgear 1 gigabit NIC for my Ubuntu server (running
on 2.5 GHz Dell Precision 340). *The card performs dismally. *I read
online that the card does not do well with Linux.what you concerns when you say that card performs dismally?

the connection is slow? lost packet?

So my questions are this:
First... is there any software out there to make the card perform?
see ntop(1)

SECOND... if not, what card would work as a standard PCI card with LINUX

for 1 gigabit NIC?whats your* LAN speed?

Remember, you should to-force speed card to connection speed.

Thanks
Jeff
sorry my english...I'm learning it.

Saludos, LSM.