Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Karl Auer

Default stopping domain-name-servers on DHCPv4

I have an oddball problem.

I want DHCPv4 to get me an address, but I do NOT want it to write the
received nameserver addresses into resolv.conf. DHCP is being done by
wicd.

I've already tried several things:

- editing /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf in various ways, before realising
that wicd was managing DHCPv4 with it's own config file :-)

- using the supersede keyword in /etc/wicd/dhclient.conf.template

The new line appears as expected in /var/lib/wicd/dhclient.conf,
but the nameservers from the DHCPv4 server still appear in
resolv.conf. I've tried an empty nameserver address (""), an IPv6
address, and an IPv4 address.

- adding a modified request line to /etc/wicd/dhclient.conf.template

The new set of requested items, minus the domain-name-servers item,
appears in /var/lib/wicd/dhclient.conf as expected, but the
nameservers from the DHCPv4 server still appear in resolv.conf. I.e.,
the server is sending them even though the client is not requesting
them, I guess.

I thnk resolvconf is interfering, but I can't see an easy way to tell
resolvconf how to behave. The script
in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d seems pretty simpleminded. I
disabled it, but the supersede line in wicd still had no effect.

Basically I'm not too sure what's actually going on. Any clues
gratefully received.

Regards, K.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Nils Kassube

Karl Auer wrote:
> I want DHCPv4 to get me an address, but I do NOT want it to write the
> received nameserver addresses into resolv.conf. DHCP is being done by
> wicd.
>
> I've already tried several things:

... which all included mangling of conf files. At the properties
dialogue for the connection you can set static DNS servers while still
using DHCP to get the address. But I never tried that myself, so I'm not
sure if it really works.

Nils

Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 08:29 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Auer wrote:
> > I want DHCPv4 to get me an address, but I do NOT want it to write the
> > received nameserver addresses into resolv.conf. DHCP is being done by
> > wicd.
> >
> > I've already tried several things:
>
> ... which all included mangling of conf files. At the properties
> dialogue for the connection you can set static DNS servers while still
> using DHCP to get the address. But I never tried that myself, so I'm not
> sure if it really works.

Thanks Nils. I don't want a static DNS address.

However, your answer gave me the idea that perhaps if I checked the
"Static DNS" flag in wicd, without actually supplying nameserver
addresses, wicd would do some magic to stop DHCP writing nameserver info
into resolv.conf. Sadly this did not happen - wicd let me check the box,
but it didn't "stick" unless I supplied actual nameserver info.

What I want is for DHCP to NOT write into resolv.conf any nameserver
addresses it receives. It *should* write any search names etc, and it
should acquire addresses for interfaces.

I'd be happy with a solution that prevented the server sending me
nameserver addresses, or a solution that caused the DHCP client to
ignore them, or a solution that simply prevented them being written into
resolv.conf. It's got to the point where I'm seriously considering
adding my own post-connection script to run after resolv.conf and rip
out nameserver lines, but that seems somehow antisocial :-)

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Karl Auer wrote:
I want DHCPv4 to get me an address, but I do NOT want it to write the
received nameserver addresses into resolv.conf. DHCP is being done by
wicd.

I've already tried several things:
... which all included mangling of conf files. At the properties
dialogue for the connection you can set static DNS servers while still
using DHCP to get the address. But I never tried that myself, so I'm not
sure if it really works.

Thanks Nils. I don't want a static DNS address.

However, your answer gave me the idea that perhaps if I checked the
"Static DNS" flag in wicd, without actually supplying nameserver
addresses, wicd would do some magic to stop DHCP writing nameserver info
into resolv.conf. Sadly this did not happen - wicd let me check the box,
but it didn't "stick" unless I supplied actual nameserver info.

Out of my depth a bit here, but wouldn't supplying 127.0.0.1 as the
nameserver be the same as leaving it empty?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy in the internet.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 17:34 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Out of my depth a bit here, but wouldn't supplying 127.0.0.1 as the
> nameserver be the same as leaving it empty?

Sadly no.

Regards, K.