Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Patton Echols

Default Drupal user/admin question

at some point I will need to join a drupal group if I pursue it as a
CMS. Hope I can get some insights as i attempt some test work.

First is a really simple noob question.

The documentation says that installation starts by unzipping the tarball
into the web root of the server (Along with setting up a DB and other
things). There are also comments about, "if there will be other
installations" that I didn't quite follow.

Question: Instead of the web root, I'd like to drop into
webroot/drulaptest/ and point browsers there. I understand I could "just
try it" ™ but I don't want to break something else. Do any of the drupal
administrators / users on the list know if this would be a problem?

Thanks for thoughts

Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 22:12 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> at some point I will need to join a drupal group if I pursue it as a
> CMS. Hope I can get some insights as i attempt some test work.
>
> First is a really simple noob question.
>
> The documentation says that installation starts by unzipping the tarball
> into the web root of the server (Along with setting up a DB and other
> things). There are also comments about, "if there will be other
> installations" that I didn't quite follow.
>
> Question: Instead of the web root, I'd like to drop into
> webroot/drulaptest/ and point browsers there. I understand I could "just
> try it" ™ but I don't want to break something else. Do any of the drupal
> administrators / users on the list know if this would be a problem?

Drupal 6 is in the repos. I've installed it both ways, just to dink
with, as I get to edit a drupal site for content for our non-profit.
Not sure what you think it will break. It's expecting to be in your
apache path (usually /var/www/drupal) and it's fairly straight forward.
Me, just put it where it's supposed to go and setup is pretty easy. Just
follow the step-by-stepper. Drupal 7 is the newest I believe, but a lot
of folks hang back with 6 as there are more plugins/modules for it. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Patton Echols

[...]

Thanks,

If it works in /var/www/drupal that's fine, but I have other things that
are also var/www/<something> . The way I read the instructs is that it
wanted to be in var/www/ What I want is a very simple
/var/www/index.html that directs to my various live and testing projects.

I'll try out Drupal 7 because my reading suggests it will do what I have
in mind. 6 or 7, I also intend to do it manually because I need to
follow through the steps so I learn what it is doing.

Is there a Drupal forum or group that you find useful?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Chris G

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 08:10:31AM -0700, Patton Echols wrote:

> Is there a Drupal forum or group that you find useful?

forums I'm sure. Just got to drupal.org and look for 'support'.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Patton Echols