Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Ignacio Trabudua

Default Put display not to sleep

Hello,

While I am watching a film with Totem Movie Player, my display is put to
sleep. I don't understand because the following options are off:

- Power Management Preferences
Display->Put display to sleep when inactive for: NEVER
- Sessions
Power Manager: Dis-enable.

I think, it can happen because of I installed compiz (advanced desktop
settings). Am I wrong?

What can I do to watch a film and the display won't be put to sleep?

Thanks

--
Ignacio Trabudua <ignacio.trabudua@inbox.com>

Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
steve

Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 PM
"Bob Cortez"

Check System | Preferences | Screen Saver

Uncheck activate screen saver when computer idle

Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Ignacio Trabudua

Thanks Bob and Steve, but I tried your advice and it didn't work. I
think the problem is not about screen saver.

For example, you select screen saver theme: Pictures folder. When you
watch a film with Movie Player or Gnome MPlayer, it turns off the
display after 10 minutes (option: activate screensaver when computer is
idle = 1 hour). The display never shows your theme. Then you unchecked:
Activate screen saver when computer idle. The problem persists.

I think my display has an option activated by system that turns off.
Independently if screensaver is activated.

I tried with:

- Delete: Option "DPMS" from xorg.conf
- xset s off
- xset -dpms

but the problems always persists.

Now, I don't know what to do.

--
Ignacio Trabudua <ignacio.trabudua@inbox.com>

| While I am watching a film with Totem Movie Player, my display is put to
| sleep. I don't understand because the following options are off:
|
| - Power Management Preferences
| Display->Put display to sleep when inactive for: NEVER
| - Sessions
| Power Manager: Dis-enable.
|
| I think, it can happen because of I installed compiz (advanced desktop
| settings). Am I wrong?
|
| What can I do to watch a film and the display won't be put to sleep?
|
| Thanks
|
| --
| Ignacio Trabudua <ignacio.trabudua@inbox.com>

under system> preferences> screensaver

is the box checked where it says activate screensaver when computer is
idle? if so, uncheck it.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
NoOp

On 02/17/2008 10:46 AM, Ignacio Trabudua wrote:
> Thanks Bob and Steve, but I tried your advice and it didn't work. I
> think the problem is not about screen saver.
>
> For example, you select screen saver theme: Pictures folder. When you
> watch a film with Movie Player or Gnome MPlayer, it turns off the
> display after 10 minutes (option: activate screensaver when computer is
> idle = 1 hour). The display never shows your theme. Then you unchecked:
> Activate screen saver when computer idle. The problem persists.
>
> I think my display has an option activated by system that turns off.
> Independently if screensaver is activated.
>
> I tried with:
>
> - Delete: Option "DPMS" from xorg.conf
> - xset s off
> - xset -dpms
>
> but the problems always persists.
>
> Now, I don't know what to do.

Give this a try:

Install "Configuration Editor" - from a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gconf-editor
killall gnome-panel

Now Applications|System Tools|Configuration Editor

Click to expand the apps folders & then scroll down and open up the
gnome-power-manager|timeout
set the following to 20000 (or however many seconds you feel
comfortable with:
- sleep_computer_ac
- sleep_display_ac
If that doesn't resolve the problem, then go up to
gnome-power-manager|general and unclick "use_time_for_policy" if it is
checked.

Note: this worked in older versions (Dapper & Edgy); I've not tried them
in Gutsy. So, make notes of what your settings were *before* you change
them so that you can change them back if necessary.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 AM
wb4alm

NoOp-4 wrote:

> If that doesn't resolve the problem, then go up to
> gnome-power-manager|general and unclick "use_time_for_policy" if it is
> checked.
>
> Note: this worked in older versions (Dapper & Edgy); I've not tried them
> in Gutsy. So, make notes of what your settings were *before* you change
> them so that you can change them back if necessary.

- - -
Works on Gutsy (8.04 LTS 64bit) and was necessary after kernel upgrade to
2.6.24-26-generic from 2.6.24-25-generic

Thanks for the hint.