Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Jim Byrnes

Default Advantage of gmane.org?

NoOp,

In another thread you said:

<qoute>
However I also post/browse via gmane.org and my email address is not
mangled (see my headers on this message). So I'm wondering why as the
gmane.org server doesn't have 'Encode/encrypt' set.

Are you posting via the web interface or nntp?
</quote>

What is the advantage of using gmane.org rather than list.unbuntu.com?

I dislike web mail so I doubt I would be using the web interface.

Thanks, Jim

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Goh Lip

However I also post/browse via gmane.org and my email address is not
mangled (see my headers on this message). So I'm wondering why as the
gmane.org server doesn't have 'Encode/encrypt' set.

Are you posting via the web interface or nntp?
</quote>

What is the advantage of using gmane.org rather than list.unbuntu.com?

The difference is just in using nntp, a 'usernet' type of newsgroup.

I dislike web mail so I doubt I would be using the web interface.

And you can use many email clients, (thunderbird, kmail....) too to use
nntp.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 AM
NoOp

On 09/07/2011 05:34 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp,
>
> In another thread you said:
>
> <qoute>
> However I also post/browse via gmane.org and my email address is not
> mangled (see my headers on this message). So I'm wondering why as the
> gmane.org server doesn't have 'Encode/encrypt' set.
>
> Are you posting via the web interface or nntp?
> </quote>
>
> What is the advantage of using gmane.org rather than list.unbuntu.com?
>
> I dislike web mail so I doubt I would be using the web interface.

The primary reasons are:

1. I do not have to fill my email inboxes with email from this list and
the many others that I subscribe to. I read & respond to around 10 lists
on average each day. Many of those are very high traffic lists. Were I
to communicate with each one via email rather than an nntp client/server
my poor email inbox/outbox would be saturated.

2. I can browse any of the other 50 or so lists that I have subscribed
on gmane.org at will. Meaning I can simply connect to the list, browse
the list, and only click on subjects that may be of interest to me. If
I've not yet posted to that list via gmane.org, I simply reply to a post
& gmane.org with send me an authentication response email, I reply with
a valid email address, and once verified gmane.org will send my reply
post to the list. From then on out I'm officially subscribed to the list
and can post at will.

You might want to give it a try. Load up your Thunderbird, add a new
nntp account (I use SeaMonkey but Thunderbird is similar: Edit|Account
Settings|Account actions etc. The newsserver is news.gmane.org and then
subscribe to this list: gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
Note: when you first subscribe this list has over 247 thousand posts &
and you'll be given an option to download all (they are only headers) or
500. I recommend downloading all (it will take awhile) and then you can
read posts back to 2004 (threaded no less).

If you need help setting that up, google it first (or check the archives
here - easy via subject search on nnt) and then come back if you still
need help & I'll be more than happy to detail the steps.

Gary

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby