Old 02-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Alex Janssen

Default Archive search

Where can I search the archives of this list?
I don't see how at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/

Thanks,
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement. - Sum Dim Guy (259)

Old 02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Rich Rudnick

Alex Janssen wrote:
> Where can I search the archives of this list?
> I don't see how at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

You can search on packages.ubuntu.com , or install the package apt-file.
Run sudo apt-file update , and afterwards you will have a local
searchable listing of all files in ubuntu.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:35:45 -0800
Rich Rudnick <rich@aphroneo.net> wrote:
> You can search on packages.ubuntu.com , or install the package apt-file.
> Run sudo apt-file update , and afterwards you will have a local
> searchable listing of all files in ubuntu.

I think you misread his question ! ;-)

To answer him... well, the only way I see, is to download the full
archive (link in top right corner of the archive page), which appears
to be a mailbox file, so you can import it in your e-mail client and use
its search facilities, locally. Rather awckward I admit.

I understand that this mailing list is also accessible via news readers,
so maybe these have on-line search facilities, never used them so, so I
will let people who do, give you a reliable answer ;-)

--
Vince

Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Marco Doehring

Hi Alex,

> Where can I search the archives of this list?

perhaps not the easiest way but always sucessful:

Use Google and its "site:" construct, e.g.
site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users nvidia

Marco

Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
sktsee

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 13:03 -0500, Alex Janssen wrote:
> Where can I search the archives of this list?
> I don't see how at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> --
> Ourwoods.org
> Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement. - Sum Dim Guy (259)

Do either a site search with google, i.e.
site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ <searchterms>. Or
you can go to a site that archives lists and use their search function
like gmane.org: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user or
nabble.com

--
sktsee

Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Derek Broughton

sktsee wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 13:03 -0500, Alex Janssen wrote:
>> Where can I search the archives of this list?
>> I don't see how at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/
>>
> Do either a site search with google, i.e.
> site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ <searchterms>. Or
> you can go to a site that archives lists and use their search function
> like gmane.org: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user or
> nabble.com

I haven't checked that Nabble actually has these lists, but if it does, it
has the better (imo) search interface. gmane certainly does have them.
--
derek

Old 02-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Rich Rudnick

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:35:45 -0800
> Rich Rudnick <rich@aphroneo.net> wrote:
>> You can search on packages.ubuntu.com , or install the package apt-file.
>> Run sudo apt-file update , and afterwards you will have a local
>> searchable listing of all files in ubuntu.
>
> I think you misread his question ! ;-)
>
> To answer him... well, the only way I see, is to download the full
> archive (link in top right corner of the archive page), which appears
> to be a mailbox file, so you can import it in your e-mail client and use
> its search facilities, locally. Rather awckward I admit.
>
> I understand that this mailing list is also accessible via news readers,
> so maybe these have on-line search facilities, never used them so, so I
> will let people who do, give you a reliable answer ;-)
>

> --
> Vince

doh!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM
sktsee

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 16:26 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> sktsee wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 13:03 -0500, Alex Janssen wrote:
> >> Where can I search the archives of this list?
> >> I don't see how at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/
> >>
> > Do either a site search with google, i.e.
> > site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ <searchterms>. Or
> > you can go to a site that archives lists and use their search function
> > like gmane.org: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user or
> > nabble.com
>
> I haven't checked that Nabble actually has these lists, but if it does, it
> has the better (imo) search interface. gmane certainly does have them.
> --
> derek

Agreed about Nabble's search. Though it does have a drawback in that it
doesn't contain the complete archive of the list. It's missing the
first 12 months or so since the list began in mid Sept. of 2004. Gmane
OTOH, is only missing the first two days since the beginning.

I would have like to have recommended marc.info (Mailing-list ARChive)
for its no-frills UI, but unfortunately it doesn't carry any Ubuntu
lists :/

--
sktsee

Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Alex Janssen

sktsee said the following on 02/16/2008 06:22 PM:
> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 16:26 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> sktsee wrote:

>>> Do either a site search with google, i.e.
>>> site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ <searchterms>. Or
>>> you can go to a site that archives lists and use their search function
>>> like gmane.org: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user or
>>> nabble.com
>>>
>> I haven't checked that Nabble actually has these lists, but if it does, it
>> has the better (imo) search interface. gmane certainly does have them.
>> --
>> derek
>>

> Agreed about Nabble's search. Though it does have a drawback in that it
> doesn't contain the complete archive of the list. It's missing the
> first 12 months or so since the list began in mid Sept. of 2004. Gmane
> OTOH, is only missing the first two days since the beginning.
>
> I would have like to have recommended marc.info (Mailing-list ARChive)
> for its no-frills UI, but unfortunately it doesn't carry any Ubuntu
> lists :/

What would be involved to add search functionality to lists.ubuntu.com?
Maybe some ambitious, knowledgeable person might do it sometime.
Nabble seems to work for my purposes, for now.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Avoid colloquial stuff. (46)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Alex Janssen wrote:

> What would be involved to add search functionality to lists.ubuntu.com?
> Maybe some ambitious, knowledgeable person might do it sometime.
> Nabble seems to work for my purposes, for now.

I think that's kind of anti-Linux :-) Why write something that already
exists. Maybe just a nice little link to the Nabble or GMane archives
would do.
--
derek