Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 AM
"Edgars Šmits"

Default Limit WiFi networks?

I'm running Gutsy, AMD64, and have a wireless problem:

Every time I start up it tries to connect to an open WiFi connection
in my building first (which unfortunately has hit or miss DNS so I
can't rely on it), I then have to kill the connection and connect to
my own router. Is there any way to either force it to connect to mine
first or eliminate the other as a possible connection. My own is
protected if that matters.

Once connected everything works fine, I would just like to eliminate
the annoying startup.

Thanks

ED

Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:

> I'm running Gutsy, AMD64, and have a wireless problem:
>
> Every time I start up it tries to connect to an open WiFi connection
> in my building first (which unfortunately has hit or miss DNS so I
> can't rely on it), I then have to kill the connection and connect to
> my own router. Is there any way to either force it to connect to mine
> first or eliminate the other as a possible connection. My own is
> protected if that matters.

What are you using for connections? NetworkManager is supposed to
prefer "protected" networks - which then leaves the question of what you
mean by "protected"? If you mean you don't broadcast your SSID, that's not
protection, and it would explain why you can't connect automatically.
--
derek