Old 02-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Bob Holtzman

Default hung boot process->Karl's post

I have to admit it. One of Karl's posts got me thinking in a different
direction. It appears that my separate /boot partition was indeed
confusing things. I tried installing with just a /, /usr and /home
partition and was successful. It looks like I was locked into my redhat
6.0 and 7.3 mindset. It looks like I'll have to keep up on linux
developments more closely.

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:57:31 -0700 (MST)
schrieb Bob Holtzman <holtzm@sonic.net>:

> I have to admit it. One of Karl's posts got me thinking in a
> different direction. It appears that my separate /boot partition was
> indeed confusing things. I tried installing with just a /, /usr
> and /home partition and was successful. It looks like I was locked
> into my redhat 6.0 and 7.3 mindset.

anyway, it should work, you should file a bug

Gerald

Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Bob Holtzman

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:57:31 -0700 (MST)
> schrieb Bob Holtzman <holtzm@sonic.net>:
>
> > I have to admit it. One of Karl's posts got me thinking in a
> > different direction. It appears that my separate /boot partition was
> > indeed confusing things. I tried installing with just a /, /usr
> > and /home partition and was successful. It looks like I was locked
> > into my redhat 6.0 and 7.3 mindset.
>
> anyway, it should work, you should file a bug

Iprobably will. First, however, I would like to know if I have an isolated
case. Searching the archives is a royal pain but I see a thread here that
may solve that problem. I also want to see if a bug has already been
filed.

--
Bob Holtzman
"Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents

Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:32:46 -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>
>> Am Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:57:31 -0700 (MST) schrieb Bob Holtzman
>> <holtzm@sonic.net>:
>>
>> > I have to admit it. One of Karl's posts got me thinking in a
>> > different direction. It appears that my separate /boot partition was
>> > indeed confusing things. I tried installing with just a /, /usr and
>> > /home partition and was successful. It looks like I was locked into
>> > my redhat 6.0 and 7.3 mindset.
>>
>> anyway, it should work, you should file a bug
>
> Iprobably will. First, however, I would like to know if I have an
> isolated case. Searching the archives is a royal pain but I see a thread
> here that may solve that problem. I also want to see if a bug has
> already been filed.

I have a new computer, where I installed 7.10 with a separate boot, root
and home partition. Yes, the old Slackware, SuSe, Debian way. It worked
out of the box for me, no bugs.

BTW, this computer came without any OS installed.

Aart

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:55 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> Searching the archives is a royal pain

Just FYI, using Google with the search term(s) plus the constraint
"site:lists.ubuntu.com" works well. That is, something like this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=boot+partition+site%3Alists.ubuntu.com