Old 02-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Ed Greshko

Default Slave Drive (resend)

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Wayne Smith <AdminPublisher <at> earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
>> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>>
>> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
>> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
>> mount it up otherwise and use it.
>>

> The drive I'm trying to use is a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I want to use
> it separately from my filesystem as storage for my files. I have it setup as a
> slave drive apart from the master drive. I managed to get it mounted by
> reformatting it in ext3 with QTParted and rebooting the computer. Now, however,
> it says the drive belongs to root and I can't read or write to it. It's an IDE
> drive.

Simple.....

In a terminal window cd to the mount point (with the drive mounted) and
simply "chown username:groupname ." Where username is your user name. The
groupname is normally the same....

That should be "sudo chown....."

--
Bushydo -- the way of the shrub. Bonsai!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Wayne Smith

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Wayne Smith <AdminPublisher <at> earthlink.net> writes:
>>

>>> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
>>> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>>>
>>> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
>>> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
>>> mount it up otherwise and use it.
>>>

>> The drive I'm trying to use is a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I want to use
>> it separately from my filesystem as storage for my files. I have it setup as a
>> slave drive apart from the master drive. I managed to get it mounted by
>> reformatting it in ext3 with QTParted and rebooting the computer. Now, however,
>> it says the drive belongs to root and I can't read or write to it. It's an IDE
>> drive.
>>

> Simple.....
>
> In a terminal window cd to the mount point (with the drive mounted) and
> simply "chown username:groupname ." Where username is your user name. The
> groupname is normally the same....
>

> That should be "sudo chown....."

Ok, that takes care of the permissions. Thanks a lot for that. Now, the
mount point is still listed in the filesystem. If I format the master
drive, will that wipe out my files on slave also??? If so, how do I
separate it from the filesystem????

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Nils Kassube

Wayne Smith wrote:
> If I format the master
> drive, will that wipe out my files on slave also??? If so, how do I
> separate it from the filesystem????

Not sure what you mean with "format the master drive". Usually you don't
format a drive but a partition. You should never format a partition which
is mounted. In a terminal use the umount command for the partition you
want to format. And watch for error messages - only format it if there
are no umount errors. Then no files on any other partition are lost.

Nils

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Wayne Smith

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> If I format the master
>> drive, will that wipe out my files on slave also??? If so, how do I
>> separate it from the filesystem????
>>

> Not sure what you mean with "format the master drive". Usually you don't
> format a drive but a partition. You should never format a partition which
> is mounted. In a terminal use the umount command for the partition you
> want to format. And watch for error messages - only format it if there
> are no umount errors. Then no files on any other partition are lost.
>

> Nils

What I mean is, if I were to reinstall Ubuntu on that drive.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Karl Larsen

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Wayne Smith wrote:
>>

>>> If I format the master
>>> drive, will that wipe out my files on slave also??? If so, how do I
>>> separate it from the filesystem????
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean with "format the master drive". Usually you don't
>> format a drive but a partition. You should never format a partition which
>> is mounted. In a terminal use the umount command for the partition you
>> want to format. And watch for error messages - only format it if there
>> are no umount errors. Then no files on any other partition are lost.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> What I mean is, if I were to reinstall Ubuntu on that drive.

Which is 'that' drive? Right now it appears you have Umbuntu in one
partition on a hard drive I will call drive A. You have the "Slave
Drive" which has at least one partition and we can call that hard drive B.

Which drive are you planning to install Ubuntu on, drive A or B?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Nils Kassube

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Not sure what you mean with "format the master drive". Usually you
> > don't format a drive but a partition. You should never format a
> > partition which is mounted. In a terminal use the umount command for
> > the partition you want to format. And watch for error messages - only
> > format it if there are no umount errors. Then no files on any other
> > partition are lost.
>
> What I mean is, if I were to reinstall Ubuntu on that drive.

Like Karl said already, it isn't really clear which drive you call "that
drive", i.e. where you want to reinstall Ubuntu. However I assume, you
want to reinstall it on the partition where it is right now. I would
suggest you take a note of the device names for the partitions you have.
With the command

mount

in a terminal you can find out which partitions are in use now. The device
names are in those lines which start with "/dev/<something>". Especially
the device where the system is installed now should be in the first line.
Then during the installation select manual partitioning (not sure what it
is really called - I don't install Ubuntu every day). Then select the
device where you want to install Ubuntu. The installer will not format
any other partitions unless you select the format option for those
partitions.

Now, the paragraph above may be a bit unclear also. If you aren't really
sure, what I meant with it, please provide the device names for the
partitions in your machine and tell us where you want to install Ubuntu
and which partitions should be left untouched. Then it is easier to tell
you what to do.

Nils

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 23:43 -0600, Wayne Smith wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Wayne Smith wrote:

> >> The drive I'm trying to use is a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I want to use
> >> it separately from my filesystem as storage for my files. I have it setup as a
> >> slave drive apart from the master drive. I managed to get it mounted by
> >> reformatting it in ext3 with QTParted and rebooting the computer. Now, however,
> >> it says the drive belongs to root and I can't read or write to it. It's an IDE
> >> drive.
> >>

> > Simple.....
> >
> > In a terminal window cd to the mount point (with the drive mounted) and
> > simply "chown username:groupname ." Where username is your user name. The
> > groupname is normally the same....
> >

> > That should be "sudo chown....."
> >

> Ok, that takes care of the permissions. Thanks a lot for that. Now, the
> mount point is still listed in the filesystem. If I format the master
> drive, will that wipe out my files on slave also??? If so, how do I
> separate it from the filesystem????

The drive shows up under root as a directory if it is ready to use. As
long as it has a mount point, it will be there unless the mount point is
a sub-directory. Even though it is showing up, what you do to the master
drive (called "Filesystem" in Nautilus, it should not affect the slave
drive.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Wayne Smith

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Nils Kassube wrote:

>>> Not sure what you mean with "format the master drive". Usually you don't
>>> format a drive but a partition. You should never format a partition which
>>> is mounted. In a terminal use the umount command for the partition you
>>> want to format. And watch for error messages - only format it if there
>>> are no umount errors. Then no files on any other partition are lost.
>>>

>>> Nils
>>>

>> What I mean is, if I were to reinstall Ubuntu on that drive.
>>

> Which is 'that' drive? Right now it appears you have Umbuntu in one
> partition on a hard drive I will call drive A. You have the "Slave
> Drive" which has at least one partition and we can call that hard drive B.
>
> Which drive are you planning to install Ubuntu on, drive A or B?
>
> Karl

The master drive (drive A) is where I have Ubuntu installed. I am trying
to use the slave drive (drive B) separately from the master drive as
storage for my files. The reason why is so that my files will be safe
should I ever have to reformat the master drive and reinstall Ubuntu.
The slave drive seems to have mounted separately, but the mount point is
in /media/slave under the filesystem.

My question to you is: Even though it is listed in the filesystem, will
the slave drive be affected if I have to reinstall Ubuntu on the Master
Drive??? And, if it will, how do I separate the two drives from each
other???

Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Wulfy

Wayne Smith wrote:
> The master drive (drive A) is where I have Ubuntu installed. I am trying
> to use the slave drive (drive B) separately from the master drive as
> storage for my files. The reason why is so that my files will be safe
> should I ever have to reformat the master drive and reinstall Ubuntu.
> The slave drive seems to have mounted separately, but the mount point is
> in /media/slave under the filesystem.
>
> My question to you is: Even though it is listed in the filesystem, will
> the slave drive be affected if I have to reinstall Ubuntu on the Master
> Drive??? And, if it will, how do I separate the two drives from each
> other???

In any Linux system, there is only one file system. Everything that can
be accessed must be in that file system, hence it's mounted somewhere.

When you format a *partition* (not a file system), it's not part of the
file system any more, until you put that partition back into the filing
system by mounting it. In fact, formatting *creates* the file system to
use.

Bottom line, if you don't format the partition with your /home directory
on it, it's safe.

HTH

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Karl Larsen

Wulfy wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> The master drive (drive A) is where I have Ubuntu installed. I am trying
>> to use the slave drive (drive B) separately from the master drive as
>> storage for my files. The reason why is so that my files will be safe
>> should I ever have to reformat the master drive and reinstall Ubuntu.
>> The slave drive seems to have mounted separately, but the mount point is
>> in /media/slave under the filesystem.

Your current Ubuntu will not be running when you re-install so the
hard drive on /media/slave/ will not be mounted. Therefore it will be
impossible to format the Slave with the Main hard drive.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User