Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Linda

Default samba broken

This week my samba connection between my XP computer and my
Ubuntu 10.04.3 computer has quit working. When I checked
the /etc/samba file had lost smbpasswd so I copied contents
of /etc/samba from my backup onto the Ubuntu computer but it
still does not work. I can ping from ubuntu to XP and vice
versa. I also bring up the XP computer under places network
as read only file systems. However the XP computer will not
even acknowledge the Ubuntu computer exits using Network
Places on XP or using Search for the computer. I checked
Hosts and lmhosts on XP and they are still there. Any ideas
on why this has suddenly ceased working
I'm leaning towards removing samba and going through a fresh
setup since I'm stuck but thought someone might have a
suggestion on what happened

Thanks
Linda

Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
NoOp

On 08/26/2011 09:54 AM, Linda wrote:
> This week my samba connection between my XP computer and my
> Ubuntu 10.04.3 computer has quit working. When I checked
> the /etc/samba file had lost smbpasswd so I copied contents
> of /etc/samba from my backup onto the Ubuntu computer but it
> still does not work. I can ping from ubuntu to XP and vice
> versa. I also bring up the XP computer under places network
> as read only file systems. However the XP computer will not
> even acknowledge the Ubuntu computer exits using Network
> Places on XP or using Search for the computer. I checked
> Hosts and lmhosts on XP and they are still there. Any ideas
> on why this has suddenly ceased working
> I'm leaning towards removing samba and going through a fresh
> setup since I'm stuck but thought someone might have a
> suggestion on what happened
> Thanks
> Linda

Maverick 10.10, but I think should be the same on 10.04:

$ ls /etc/samba
dhcp.conf gdbcommands smb.conf smb.conf~ smb.conf.ucf-dist
$ locate smbpasswd
/usr/bin/smbpasswd
/usr/sbin/mksmbpasswd
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/manpages/smbpasswd.5.html
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/manpages/smbpasswd.8.html
/usr/share/man/man5/smbpasswd.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/mksmbpasswd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/smbpasswd.8.gz
/var/backups/smbpasswd.bak

Is nmbd running?

$ service nmbd status

should appear as:
$ service nmbd status
nmbd start/running, process <pid>

Are they both using the same workgroup name?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:

> This week my samba connection between my XP computer and my Ubuntu 10.04.3
> computer has quit working. *When I checked the /etc/samba file had lost
> smbpasswd so I copied contents of /etc/samba from my backup onto the Ubuntu
> computer but it still does not work. I can ping from ubuntu to XP and vice
> versa. I also bring up the XP computer under places network as read only
> file systems. However the XP computer will not even acknowledge the Ubuntu
> computer exits using Network Places on XP or using Search for the computer.
> I checked Hosts and lmhosts on XP and they are still there. *Any ideas on
> why this has suddenly ceased working
> I'm leaning towards removing samba and going through a fresh setup since I'm
> stuck but thought someone might have a suggestion on what happened

Do you have any "smb.conf.ucf-dist", "smb.conf.ucf-new",
"smb.conf.ucf-old" in "/etc/samba"?

Do "testparm" and "testparm -v" return the params that you expect?

What does "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" return?

Have you installed a firewall that blocks samba ports?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Linda

k 10.10, but I think should be the same on 10.04:

Is nmbd running?

$ service nmbd status

should appear as:
$ service nmbd status
nmbd start/running, process<pid>

Thank you nmbd was not running that was the problem. The
simplest solutions are always the ones we try last!

Linda

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
NoOp

On 08/26/2011 11:00 AM, Linda wrote:
> k 10.10, but I think should be the same on 10.04:
>> Is nmbd running?
>>
>> $ service nmbd status
>>
>> should appear as:
>> $ service nmbd status
>> nmbd start/running, process<pid>
>>

> Thank you nmbd was not running that was the problem. The
> simplest solutions are always the ones we try last!
> Linda

Linda, if you are finding that nmbd is not starting on boot, have a look at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/582376
[Samba (nmbd) fails to start at boot]

I had/have a similar problem with smbd on my laptop only in the reverse;
nmbd was starting, smbd was not. The samba logs were showing:

Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Network is unreachable

So I modified my /etc/init/smbd.conf by commenting out:

start on local-filesystems

and inserting:

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)

and now both are working fine on reboot.

Added refs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/836849
[Samba starts before static IPs set in network manager]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/374589
[Samba fails to start at boot when not connected to network (and
specific interfaces are configured)]

From those same bug reports I found a handy command that shows the
status of all upstart daemons:

$ initctl list