Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Valter Nogueira

Default preseed + firstrun script

I am following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization in order to get a standard way to install my servers.

The text suggests using a "Create a 'firstrun' script that executes the first time the system boots, and disables itself on completion."

Does someone know how to accomplish such task?

I have tried to create a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99firstrun, wich would self-delete on finish.

In order to do so, I used the following line in preseed:

d-i preseed/late_command string /bin/cp /cdrom/myfiles/S99firstrun /target/etc/init.d/firstrun; /bin/chmod 755 /target/etc/init.d/firstrun;/bin/ln -s ../init.d/firstrun /target/etc/rc2.d/S99firstrun;

In some installations it runs at first boot, in others it runs on second boot and there are others installs that it doesn't run at all.

thanks,

Valter