Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Colin Law

Default How to add new notebook in Tomboy Notes?

This may seem like a silly question, but bear with me. Using Tomboy
1.6.0 on Natty the only way I can find to add a new notebook is to
right click in the area below the list of notebooks on the Search All
Notes display. That is ok until there are sufficient notes that the
list fills the window. Then there is nowhere to right click and one
has to mess about making the window larger and once the window gets to
the size of the screen it becomes even more tricky.

I looked in File, expecting to be able to add a new notebook there,
but File > Notebooks does not appear to do anything. Googling led me
to [1] which suggests that File > Notebooks has a submenu Add New
Notebook but I am not seeing this.

I searched Launchpad but did not find anything.

Colin

[1] http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/ubuntu-tips-how-to-manage-simple-projects-using-tomboy-notes/

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

Colin,

I just looked at Tomboy on my notebook that has Natty. For me
File-->notebook does not show a sub-menu either. If you do File-->new
you will get a new note. On that window to the far right is Notebook.
Clicking on it will pop up a menu that will allow you to create a new
notebook. Not that efficient but better than what you are doing now.

Regards, Jim

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Colin Law

On 24 August 2011 14:00, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 04:01 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> This may seem like a silly question, but bear with me. *Using Tomboy
>> 1.6.0 on Natty the only way I can find to add a new notebook is to
>> right click in the area below the list of notebooks on the Search All
>> Notes display. *That is ok until there are sufficient notes that the
>> list fills the window. *Then there is nowhere to right click and one
>> has to mess about making the window larger and once the window gets to
>> the size of the screen it becomes even more tricky.
> I just looked at Tomboy on my notebook that has Natty. *For me
> File-->notebook does not show a sub-menu either. *If you do File-->new you
> will get a new note. On that window to the far right is Notebook. Clicking
> on it will pop up a menu that will allow you to create a new notebook. *Not
> that efficient but better than what you are doing now.

Thanks for that, I had not noticed it there. Further searching has
led me to the relevant bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/763846

Colin

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/24 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
> On 24 August 2011 14:00, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 08/24/2011 04:01 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>>
>>> This may seem like a silly question, but bear with me. *Using Tomboy
>>> 1.6.0 on Natty the only way I can find to add a new notebook is to
>>> right click in the area below the list of notebooks on the Search All
>>> Notes display. *That is ok until there are sufficient notes that the
>>> list fills the window. *Then there is nowhere to right click and one
>>> has to mess about making the window larger and once the window gets to
>>> the size of the screen it becomes even more tricky.
>> I just looked at Tomboy on my notebook that has Natty. *For me
>> File-->notebook does not show a sub-menu either. *If you do File-->new you
>> will get a new note. On that window to the far right is Notebook. Clicking
>> on it will pop up a menu that will allow you to create a new notebook. *Not
>> that efficient but better than what you are doing now.
>
> Thanks for that, I had not noticed it there. *Further searching has
> led me to the relevant bug report
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/763846
>
> Colin

This reminds me about the ”New folder” thing in Nautilus. If you view
your files as icons, you can right click between the icons and then
click ”New folder”. If you view as a list, and the list takes up the
whole window, you can not have ”New folder” in the right click menu…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Colin Law

On 24 August 2011 14:40, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> This reminds me about the ”New folder” thing in Nautilus. If you view
> your files as icons, you can right click between the icons and then
> click ”New folder”. If you view as a list, and the list takes up the
> whole window, you can not have ”New folder” in the right click menu…

At least in Nautilus you can use File > Create Folder (or whatever the
exact wording is).

--
Colin
https://plus.google.com/111605230843729345543/

Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/24 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
> On 24 August 2011 14:40, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> This reminds me about the ”New folder” thing in Nautilus. If you view
>> your files as icons, you can right click between the icons and then
>> click ”New folder”. If you view as a list, and the list takes up the
>> whole window, you can not have ”New folder” in the right click menu…
>
> At least in Nautilus you can use File > Create Folder (or whatever the
> exact wording is).

I don't know either since I run Nautilus in Swedish… And thanks to you
I now know that I can also create new folders with Ctrl+Shift+n
(however, it says Ctrl+Shift+N, wouldn't that be Ctrl+Shift+Shift+n
since N=Shift+n…? :P ).

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ