Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Ubuntu One – Conflicts

I have two Ubuntu machines: My main machine with Ubuntu 10.10 and
another one with Ubuntu 11.04.
I share a folder between those two machines, and every time I change a
file on the Ubuntu 11.04 machine, the same file on the Ubuntu 10.10
machine gets its name changed to something like
PreviousName.PreviousSuffix.Something.conflict (or something like
that). I can't see why there would be a conflict in the first place: I
change a file on my secondary machine, it's uploaded to Ubuntu One and
it should replace the previously uploaded file, since it's newer, then
my main machine (the Ubuntu 10.10 one) should download the newer file
and everything should be fine.

Anyway, let's say that this file naming thing is a good thing, how do
I solve the conflict? I can't see an obvious way to do that.

This is very annoying and I don't really see the point. If there
really is a conflict, at least open a bloody window in the background
that lets me handle the conflict manually when I have time to do so
(the window should not pop up and be active, because there is nothing
that is more annoying than that).

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Colin Law

2011/8/23 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> I have two Ubuntu machines: My main machine with Ubuntu 10.10 and
> another one with Ubuntu 11.04.
> I share a folder between those two machines, and every time I change a
> file on the Ubuntu 11.04 machine, the same file on the Ubuntu 10.10
> machine gets its name changed to something like
> PreviousName.PreviousSuffix.Something.conflict (or something like
> that). I can't see why there would be a conflict in the first place: I
> change a file on my secondary machine, it's uploaded to Ubuntu One and
> it should replace the previously uploaded file, since it's newer, then
> my main machine (the Ubuntu 10.10 one) should download the newer file
> and everything should be fine.

I don't use Ubuntu one but is it possible that the file is being
changed on both machines at the same time, possibly accidentally? So
when it synchronises it does not overwrite the second one as it thinks
it has also been changed.

Colin

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/23 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
> 2011/8/23 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
>> I have two Ubuntu machines: My main machine with Ubuntu 10.10 and
>> another one with Ubuntu 11.04.
>> I share a folder between those two machines, and every time I change a
>> file on the Ubuntu 11.04 machine, the same file on the Ubuntu 10.10
>> machine gets its name changed to something like
>> PreviousName.PreviousSuffix.Something.conflict (or something like
>> that). I can't see why there would be a conflict in the first place: I
>> change a file on my secondary machine, it's uploaded to Ubuntu One and
>> it should replace the previously uploaded file, since it's newer, then
>> my main machine (the Ubuntu 10.10 one) should download the newer file
>> and everything should be fine.
>
> I don't use Ubuntu one but is it possible that the file is being
> changed on both machines at the same time, possibly accidentally? *So
> when it synchronises it does not overwrite the second one as it thinks
> it has also been changed.

Well, one strange thing I have seen is, that sometimes when I open one
of those files (in LibreOffice) the save button is active, as if I had
changed it even though I did not.

But in this case I think I did not even open it.

Anyway, my question still remains: What can I do when these conflicts
occur? Somehow I need to tell Ubuntu one which file is the right one
to save, right? So how do I do that? As you don't use Ubuntu One I
guess this question is asked to someone else…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ