Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 AM
R Kimber

Default USB disk spin down time

I have just bought a Samsung 2TB external USB drive and it is formatted with
ext4. It works fine, except that it automatically spins down very quickly
when it thinks it's not needed. Since it takes nearly 5 seconds to spin up
after doing a 'save' this has started to become irritating.

How may I best control the time before it spins down?

There seems to be a smart disk spin-down daemon that might do it, called
ngflushd, but it is not in the repos. Is there a standard Ubuntu way of
controlling the time before spin-down? And is there a command that spins it
up again?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 12:59 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> I have just bought a Samsung 2TB external USB drive and it is formatted with
> ext4. It works fine, except that it automatically spins down very quickly
> when it thinks it's not needed. Since it takes nearly 5 seconds to spin up
> after doing a 'save' this has started to become irritating.
>
> How may I best control the time before it spins down?
>
> There seems to be a smart disk spin-down daemon that might do it, called
> ngflushd, but it is not in the repos. Is there a standard Ubuntu way of
> controlling the time before spin-down? And is there a command that spins it
> up again?

Try turning off the power-save feature in your setup. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:02:45 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 12:59 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> > I have just bought a Samsung 2TB external USB drive and it is formatted
> > with ext4. It works fine, except that it automatically spins down very
> > quickly when it thinks it's not needed. Since it takes nearly 5
> > seconds to spin up after doing a 'save' this has started to become
> > irritating.
> >
> > How may I best control the time before it spins down?
> >
> > There seems to be a smart disk spin-down daemon that might do it, called
> > ngflushd, but it is not in the repos. Is there a standard Ubuntu way of
> > controlling the time before spin-down? And is there a command that
> > spins it up again?
>
> Try turning off the power-save feature in your setup. Ric

Do you mean in the Power Management Preferences? I can only see an option
to force disks to spin down. The 'put computer to sleep' facility is set to
inactive. I can't see anything else, but perhaps you are referring to
something else.

- Richard.