Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
"Peter Fitzpatrick"

Default Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Hi
*
I have tried to load the Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.04 onto a HP laptop with a Celeron CPU c/w 2 GB of memory and a new clean 320GB hard drive. It is only a 32 bit machine so have used the 32 Bit programs
*
Machine is HP
CPU is Intel T2300* 1667MHz
Cache 64/2048KB
Memory 2048KB
ROM 4/28/2006* BIOS F.06
*
Installation runs through normally and concludes apparently OK. The HDD has been reformatted and using the default whole disk installation.
*
When we restart we only get an error from GRUB as shown below.
*
error: out of disk
grub rescue>
*
*
Having read through some of the posts on the subject it appears that there may be some kind of issue with how the boot sector is loaded. Anyway I have tried a few different things to give as much information as I can. Note I am only new to Unix, although I did a bit of it post uni about 30 years ago.
*
Here are some of the things I tried and the results.
*
grub rescue> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
grub rescue> ls /
./ ../ lost+found/ var/ etc/ media/ bin/ boot/ dev/ home/ lib/ mnt/ opt/ proc/ root/ sbin/ selinux/ srv/ sys/ tmp/ usr/ vmlinz initrd.img cdrom/
*
grub rescue> cd /boot/grub
*
error: out of disk
grub rescue> set
prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
root=hd0,msdos1
grub rescue>
*
Both version of ubuntu acted in almost the same way. The only difference was that the 10.04 version reported the drive details as (hd0,1) rather than (hd0,msdos1). I have tried loading froma CD for each and also a USB stick for each. In the case of the USB I used the program from the ubuntu site to generate the usb stick as bootable.
*
In all cases ubuntu will run from the CD or USB stick and seems to be fully functional.
*
There seems to be very limtied capacity at the Grub rescue prompt as very few commands do anything.
*
One thing I ntoiced was that during the installation when the program asked for how the HDD partitions should be handled it seemed to indicate that the HDD was a SCSI drive. It is in fact a SATA drive. I did not think much of this but do not know if it is important or not.
*
*
*
Regards
Peter Fitzpatrick
Fitzpatrick & Associates
ABN* 99 818 462 653

Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Goh Lip

Installation runs through normally and concludes apparently OK. The HDD
has been reformatted and using the default whole disk installation.

When we restart we only get an error from GRUB as shown below.

error: out of disk

grub rescue>

.
.
.

grub rescue> ls

(hd0) (hd0,msdos1)

.
.
.

Peter, unless there are more serious problems in your installation, try
as follows....

grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod (hd0,1)/boot/grub/normal.mod
grub rescue> normal

[here you should see a 'normal' grub prompt "grub>" ]
Then .....
grub> set root=(hd0,1)
grub> linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
grub> initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img
grub> boot

When (If) booted up, open a terminal and
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Regards and good luck - Goh Lip

ps: hopefully do don't need this...
if boot fails at grub-rescue mode, let us know the output...
grub rescue> cat (hd0,1)/etc/lsb-release
grub rescue> search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub rescue> search -f /vmlinuz

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Aaron Gray

I had my HP laptop fail to install Ubuntu 10.04 it just hung near end of instillation, then refused to boot.
So I put Fedora back on and its fine now

Aaron

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Goh Lip

So I put Fedora back on and its fine now

Aaron

Good for you.
Now get out of the way.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 August 2011 15:09, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 10:07 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:
>>
>> So I put Fedora back on and its fine now
>>
>> Aaron
>
> Good for you.
> Now get out of the way.

Hey hey guys. Happy FLOSS families, no need for antagonism.

Al.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Goh Lip

Hey hey guys. Happy FLOSS families, no need for antagonism.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

Regards - Goh Lip
ps: hope you still remember your Shakespeare
-

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 21:25 +1000, Peter Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have tried to load the Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.04 onto a HP laptop with
> a Celeron CPU c/w 2 GB of memory and a new clean 320GB hard drive. It
> is only a 32 bit machine so have used the 32 Bit programs

Did you format the entire drive? You sure?? You might have some windows
partitions that didn't get formatted. If it's no bother, I'd crank up
the install disk and eyeball the drive setup manually. And make sure
that virus protection is set to off in the bios. Your machine will think
Linux is a virus when it tries to write to the boot sector. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 22:20 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 10:14 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Hey hey guys. Happy FLOSS families, no need for antagonism.
>
> We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
> Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

He can take his top posting self over to the Fedora list where they'll
really tear him a new one. <cackles> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
chris

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 22:20 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 10:14 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Hey hey guys. Happy FLOSS families, no need for antagonism.
>
> We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
> Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
>
> Regards - Goh Lip
> ps: hope you still remember your Shakespeare
> -

Of course!
Da kiwi a happy brother

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Basil Chupin

Hey hey guys. Happy FLOSS families, no need for antagonism.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

Regards - Goh Lip
ps: hope you still remember your Shakespeare
-

Of course!
Da kiwi a happy brother

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72773.html