Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Donkey Hottie

Default WinSCP for Ubuntu?

I found PuTTY, which was great. I can use my Putty keys to open a
connection in Linux too now.

But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key files
for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't do it. It
just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private key.

Is there such SFTP app for me?

--

All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Steve Flynn

I found PuTTY, which was great. I can use my Putty keys to open a

connection in Linux too now.

But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key files

for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't do it. It

just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private key.

Is there such SFTP app for me?

Tried the obvious one - sftp? Do you actually need a graphical client?*--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Donkey Hottie

23.8.2011 13:01, Steve Flynn kirjoitti:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Donkey Hottie
> <donkey@fredriksson.dy.fi <mailto:donkey@fredriksson.dy.fi>> wrote:
>

> I found PuTTY, which was great. I can use my Putty keys to open a
> connection in Linux too now.
>
> But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key files
> for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't do it. It
> just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private key.
>
> Is there such SFTP app for me?
>

> Tried the obvious one - sftp? Do you actually need a graphical client?

Not really, but it would be a plus when I'm in GUI mode.

--

Your goose is cooked.
(Your current chick is burned up too!)

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Donkey Hottie

23.8.2011 13:10, Amichai Rotman kirjoitti:
> Putty has an SFTP mode...
>
> Amichai.

Really? Have to check his out. Have used PuTTY years in Windows and
never seen this...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Donkey Hottie

On 08/23/2011 01:10 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Putty has an SFTP mode...
>
> Amichai.

Can't find such mode. How does it work?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Lewis Handy

<snip>

But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key files

for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't do it. It

just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private key.

If you add your putty generated public key to the remote servers authorized_keys file, and then in the winSCP connection dialog you specify the putty generated private key you should be able to log in without a password.

I am assuming here that puttygen was used for key generation - if not use the public / private keys you have from elsewhere.
<snip>

--

All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Donkey Hottie

23.8.2011 13:34, Lewis Handy kirjoitti:

> <snip>
> But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key files
> for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't do it. It
> just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private key.
>
> If you add your putty generated public key to the remote servers
> authorized_keys file, and then in the winSCP connection dialog you
> specify the putty generated private key you should be able to log in
> without a password.

Indeed I do that. But in Windows! I need similar for Ubuntu.

> I am assuming here that puttygen was used for key generation - if not
> use the public / private keys you have from elsewhere.
>
> <snip>
> --
>
> All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.

Love is in the offing. Be affectionate to one who adores you.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Nils Kassube

Donkey Hottie wrote:
> But how about WinSCP? I need SFTP client which can use PuTTY key
> files for authentication. I tried FileZilla, but apparently it can't
> do it. It just asks for a password, not possibility for SSH private
> key.
>
> Is there such SFTP app for me?

For SFTP I use konqueror - type something like "sftp://user@host" in the
URL bar and it asks for the login password or the password to your
private key, whatever is appropriate.

Nils

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Lewis Handy

<snip>
Indeed I do that. But in Windows! I need similar for Ubuntu.

Ooops, must learn to read properly*
<snip>