-   -   Installing the msttcorefonts package on a mchine withou internet access (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/56611-installing-msttcorefonts-package-mchine-withou-internet-access.html)

sktsee 02-15-2008 05:28 PM

Installing the msttcorefonts package on a mchine withou internet access

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 08:50 -0500, stan wrote:

I need to install the msttcorefonts Ubuntu package on a machine that cannot
directly access the Internet. Under normal circumstances, this machine can
install Ubuntu packages by using another machine which does have Internet
access, using it's apt-proxy. But this particular package tries to directly
fetch some files from sourceforge, which of course fails.

Seems to me that I should be able to manually download these files from
sourceforge, and the let apt-get install try to install this package.
Problem is, I don't know where to place these files, such that apt-proxy
will recognize that they are already present, and thus not try to download
them.

I looked around on a machine that I have installed this package on, and
(using find) could not find these files at all, so i assuming that they are
transient, and deleted once the fonts have been extracted.

Assuming that apt-get left the msttcorefonts package in a hold state (pending configuration) here are the steps to install the MS corefonts from a local directory.

1. In a terminal or vt, confirm that msttcorefonts is partially installed

$ dpkg -C

If it's listed as broken or hold, then proceed to step two. If it isn't, the grab the msttcorefonts_2.2_all.deb package from a Ubuntu archive and install it manually on the isolated machine.

$ sudo dpkg -i msttcorefont_2.2_all.deb

2. copy the ms corefonts self-extracting cab files into a local directory on the machine you want them installed on. Do not extract the cab files and be sure that you have all of them. You can find a list in /var/lib/dpkg/info/msttcorefonts.postinst (arial32.exe, andale32.exe, etc.)

3. Open the /var/lib/dpkg/info/msttcorefonts.postinst script for editing and change a line at the top of the file that reads "LOCALCOPY=$RET" to "LOCALCOPY=/directorypath/where/you/stored/thefont/cabs

Save the file.

4. Configure the msttcorefont with dpkg

$ sudo dpkg --configure msttcorefonts

If you specified the right directory to where you copied the font self-extracting cab files in the msttcorefonts.postinst script, then msttcorefonts config will output the status of extracting and installing the fonts.

Oh, and don't start new threads on same subject within a day or so. It won't get your problem solved any faster.

sktsee