Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 PM
sktsee

Default Fwd: No rt* modules on alternate cd: Was Alternate Gutsy CD-Debootstrap Error Installing Base System-Failed To Determine Code Name Of Release

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:13 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

[snip]

Thanky so much. I'll check them all to see if the rt*
mods are listed and maybe try out the alt DVD also as
I'm trying out the 4th install and still find it
hanging at certain spots in the install software
portion which I don't think it should do. Also trying
the linux generic ipo the 2.2.22.-14 generic that I
remember you saying was the only one that worked for
you and your wifi card. I let the list know what
happens. Thanks for the needed help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

The wireless (rt*) modules are located in the linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-[flavor] (flavor being generic, i386, server, etc.). After installation, check to see if that package is installed. If not, you should be able to install it from the cd, as it's included on the cdimage according to the file manifest.

--

sktsee

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 PM
sktsee

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:56 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- sktsee <sktsee@tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:13 -0800, Leonard
> > Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > >
> > > Thanky so much. I'll check them all to see if the
> > rt*
> > > mods are listed and maybe try out the alt DVD also
> > as
> > > I'm trying out the 4th install and still find it
> > > hanging at certain spots in the install software
> > > portion which I don't think it should do. Also
> > trying
> > > the linux generic ipo the 2.2.22.-14 generic that
> > > remember you saying was the only one that worked
> > for
> > > you and your wifi card. I let the list know what
> > > happens. Thanks for the needed help.
> > >
> > The wireless (rt*) modules are located in the
> > linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-[flavor] (flavor
> > being generic, i386,
> > server, etc.). After installation, check to see if
> > that package is
> > installed. If not, you should be able to install it
> > from the cd, as it's
> > included on the cdimage according to the file
> > manifest.
> >
> Thanks for offering help and info, sktsee. I know what
> your saying and I myself find it hard to believe it
> wasnj't there. I just now closed this thread out with
> a solved reply. You might want to read it. You'll
> find it hard to believe. I know the module is included
> for the kernel I installed. It was the same kernel I
> was running with a NIC card before I switched to a
> wifi card that I got working but had other issues. It
> just wasn't on my HDD after the first install and I
> couldn't find it on the cd using a root shell, sudo
> updatedb, locate and just manually searching the cd.
> There may be a better way but I don't know it.
> Not even sure I know how to install a module from the
> alt CD, and would like to know for sure. Is it any
> more specific than doing a "sudo aptitude install
> rt61pci.ko" I installed all the other programs that
> the cd failed to install using that format.
> Thanks for your input,

The rt61pci.ko module is located along with other ndiswrapper wireless
modules in the package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic. So in
order to install it, you would do "sudo aptitude install
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic" Apparently, that package was
skipped over during your installation, hence that's why the rt* modules
weren't on your system after the installation finished. I was just
pointing out that you can install those drivers manually from the
linux-ubuntu-module package located on the cdimage if they don't get
installed during the initial installation.

Anyway, glad to see you finally got it going.

--
sktsee