Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Questions like ”How can I move my windows in 11.04?” and more…

I just upgraded my mini laptop to 11.04 (from 10.10). There are a few
things that I need to know if I'm going to do anything useful at all:
For example, when I open a terminal, the upper part of its window is
hidden under the upper panel and I can't find a way to move the window
away from it. Alt+drag doesn't work as far as I have tried. I need to
do that, since I can't see the first row of the terminal, or I have to
hit enter to start typing at the second or third row.

Are all the windows supposed to be ”headless”?
Neither the terminal nor Tomboy (just to mention two examples) have a
head (where I can click to drag a window somewhere) and the close
button is therefore missing among with the other buttons (no, it's not
in the upper panel), so when I want to close Tomboy I need to do it
from the menu or press Ctrl+F4.

When I have no window open at all in the current desktop, the panel
menues are File, Edit, View, Places and Help. All these are gone when
a window is active, so I need to click on the desktop to get that
menu. If the window is maximised, I can not click the desktop. Am I
missing something here? Probably…

Are there any plans for panel auto-hide?

Right now it feels like it's going to be very hard to get used to this
and I miss the cube and my 16 desktops! Yes, I know, it's probably
easy to solve and I'm going to do it soon, I'm just so frustrated
right now…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:23:02PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> I just upgraded my mini laptop to 11.04 (from 10.10). There are a few
> things that I need to know if I'm going to do anything useful at all:
> For example, when I open a terminal, the upper part of its window is
> hidden under the upper panel and I can't find a way to move the window
> away from it. Alt+drag doesn't work as far as I have tried. I need to
> do that, since I can't see the first row of the terminal, or I have to
> hit enter to start typing at the second or third row.
>
> Are all the windows supposed to be ”headless”?

No, that sounds like a bug. Or misconfiguration of some kind.

Can you create a new user account and try logging in? If window
decorations appear there, that means the problem is in your
configuration somewhere in your home directory.

> Neither the terminal nor Tomboy (just to mention two examples) have a
> head (where I can click to drag a window somewhere) and the close
> button is therefore missing among with the other buttons (no, it's not
> in the upper panel), so when I want to close Tomboy I need to do it
> from the menu or press Ctrl+F4.

So you have a working window manager, but no window decorations.

Do you have a process named 'unity-window-decorator' (perhaps truncated
to 'unity-window-de') running? Can you try to change your windowing
theme in System Settings -> Appearance to, e.g. Ambiance or Radiance and
see if that helps?

Marius Gedminas
--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.
- Andy Finkel, computer guy

Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Pop Horea

Right click on the line of the bottom of the window or in the right and then 'resize'.I have this problems sometimes too, my upper bar disappears.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Amichai Rotman

Try this:

Hit ALT+F2 and enter unity --replace

Amichai Rotman.

On Aug 19, 2011 7:50 PM, "Pop Horea" <pop.horea@yahoo.com> wrote:> Right click on the line of the bottom of the window or in the right and then 'resize'.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/20 Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il>:
> Try this:
> Hit ALT+F2 and enter unity --replace
>
> Amichai Rotman.

Seems like the problem was easier to solve than I thought. When I took
a closer look in the Compiz settings, I found that a lot of things
were unchecked (☐), so I just checked them (☒) and played with their
settings a bit, and now it seems to work, at least better than before.
I don't know why almost everything was unchecked, maybe because I used
the cube with some effects before the upgrade?

I'm still not very happy with the Unity interface though. Hopefully
they will improve it a very lot to the next version and hopefully I am
going to get used to it and be able to be more productive with it,
which is absolutely not the case today.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ