Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Basil Chupin

Default Downgrade Thunderbird 6 to Thunderbird 5 from PPA

On 18/08/11 23:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:

Until yesterday I was using Thunderbird 5 from this PPA:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-stable

Now Thunderbird was upgraded to version 6 and broke an essential
extension.

Which "essential extension" has been broken?

(Ouch! I am not certain if Al will allow me to post this response :-( .
But, irrespective (I'll go to confession this coming weekend, I promise
:-( ) read the following...at your peril if Al is watching :-) .

See my thread, "Add-on not being compatible with latest release of
Firefox" posted earlier today (my time).

The information there applies equally to Thunderbird.

And by this I mean that none of my extensions are now "broken". All
working as before (when TB 3.x and later were installed).

I found a Thunderbird 5 deb from here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/i386/thunderbird/5.0+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu5

However removing the installed Thunderbird is giving me all kinds of
dependency issues, such as Enigmail. How does one "roll back" to a
previous version via aptitude? I tried using Synaptic's Fore Version
feature, but it is disabled on Thunderbird. Maybe that is due to the
PPA?

"Maybe that is due to the PPA?"

I suspect that this may be the case.

But, then, what do I know?

BC

--
"Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive."

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Alan Pope

On 18 August 2011 14:13, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now Thunderbird was upgraded to version 6 and broke an essential
> extension. I found a Thunderbird 5 deb from here:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/i386/thunderbird/5.0+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu5

What release of Ubuntu are you on? That deb is from 11.10 which hasn't
been released yet, so I would avoid it if you're on 11.04 or below.

Have you contacted the author of the extension to see if they are
planning to update it?

> However removing the installed Thunderbird is giving me all kinds of
> dependency issues, such as Enigmail. How does one "roll back" to a
> previous version via aptitude? I tried using Synaptic's Fore Version
> feature, but it is disabled on Thunderbird. Maybe that is due to the
> PPA?

I would first disable the PPA, then "apt-get autoremove" thunderbird.
It would probably be easier to then grab the version 5 release from
Mozilla upstream and run that until the extension you need is updated.
I'm not sure if you can suppress the update mechanism easily in 5 to
prevent going to 6 for now. If you can find a deb for your release of
Ubuntu then you could use that and "pin" it to prevent it updating.

Al.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Alan Pope

On 18 August 2011 15:38, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> (Ouch! I am not certain if Al will allow me to post this response :-( . But,
> irrespective (I'll go to confession this coming weekend, I promise :-( )
> read the following...at your peril if Al is watching :-) .

This is getting tiresome.

I don't know what I've done that makes you feel the need to take pokes
at me like this, but feel free to cut it out. It's not helpful to
anyone.

Al.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Nils Kassube

Alan Pope wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 15:38, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > (Ouch! I am not certain if Al will allow me to post this response
> > :-( . But, irrespective (I'll go to confession this coming
> > weekend, I promise :-( ) read the following...at your peril if Al
> > is watching :-) .
>
> This is getting tiresome.

+1

> I don't know what I've done that makes you feel the need to take
> pokes at me like this

I did some research and I came to the conclusion that his real name
probably is Timmy [1]. Some time ago, someone let him play with a toy
called Sounder and after a while he thought it was _his_ toy. Then you
came along and suggested to scrap that obsolete thing. Unfortunately he
is scared of meetings with too many adults unknown to little Timmy.
Therefore he didn't attend the meeting where it was decided to actually
scrap Sounder. Now the last thing he remembers about Sounder is that
_you_ are the culprit who made it disappear. I suppose he will never
forgive you.

Nils

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_the_Sheep#Major_characters>

Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 17:38, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 18/08/11 23:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Until yesterday I was using Thunderbird 5 from this PPA:
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
>>
>> Now Thunderbird was upgraded to version 6 and broke an essential
>> extension.
>
> Which "essential extension" has been broken?
>
> (Ouch! I am not certain if Al will allow me to post this response :-( . But,
> irrespective (I'll go to confession this coming weekend, I promise :-( )
> read the following...at your peril if Al is watching :-) .
>
> See my thread, "Add-on not being compatible with latest release of Firefox"
> posted earlier today (my time).
>
> The information there applies equally to Thunderbird.
>
> And by this I mean that none of my extensions are now "broken". All working
> as before (when TB 3.x and later were installed).

Virtual Identity. The problem is not one of simply bumping the version
number, but rather real breakage that prevents me from sending mail.
Not this Gmail, obviously, but my work mail.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 18:03, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> What release of Ubuntu are you on? That deb is from 11.10 which hasn't
> been released yet, so I would avoid it if you're on 11.04 or below.

Kubuntu 11.04. The Tbird 5 was from the Mozilla PPA, which no longer
makes it available for download and manual installation.

> Have you contacted the author of the extension to see if they are
> planning to update it?

Yes, I am a regular tester and triager of Virtual Identity. The fix is
already released and Thunderbird is now working again. However, I do
need to know how to handle these situations for software that I am not
in contact with the devs.

Alan, what is your opinion of Yum? I see that it is in fact available
for Ubuntu. Yum can be configured to remember software versions and
configurations. When so configured, the user can simply rpm -Uhv
--rollback 'august 16' and be done with it. I cannot find a similar
feature for aptitude.

> I would first disable the PPA, then "apt-get autoremove" thunderbird.

That wants to remove Enigmail and then reinstalling Enigmail will be
an engima. I'm a bit afraid of that route.

> It would probably be easier to then grab the version 5 release from
> Mozilla upstream and run that until the extension you need is updated.

They don't have it available! At least, I cannot find it. Wait,
scratch that, googling Mozilla mirrors at least finds me a few mirros
that still have the tarball.

> I'm not sure if you can suppress the update mechanism easily in 5 to
> prevent going to 6 for now. If you can find a deb for your release of
> Ubuntu then you could use that and "pin" it to prevent it updating.

That was my plan. Now that Virtual Identity is fixed the issue is less
critical, but the secondary goal of knowing how to roll back is still
important to me. Mozilla plans on updating Tbird every three months. I
like to keep a reasonably-new Tbird as Thunderbird Conversations
pushes many patches to Mozilla and many features of Conversations
require a very recent Tbird. So I will inadvertently break it again.
In other words, I need to learn how to handle living near the bleeding
edge.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 20:43, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> I did some research and I came to the conclusion that his real name
> probably is Timmy [1]. Some time ago, someone let him play with a toy
> called Sounder and after a while he thought it was _his_ toy. Then you
> came along and suggested to scrap that obsolete thing. Unfortunately he
> is scared of meetings with too many adults unknown to little Timmy.
> Therefore he didn't attend the meeting where it was decided to actually
> scrap Sounder. Now the last thing he remembers about Sounder is that
> _you_ are the culprit who made it disappear. I suppose he will never
> forgive you.

Not here, Nils. Please don't hijack. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Alan Pope

On 18 August 2011 18:56, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I am a regular tester and triager of Virtual Identity. The fix is
> already released and Thunderbird is now working again. However, I do
> need to know how to handle these situations for software that I am not
> in contact with the devs.

Oh well that's good news and quick too!

> Alan, what is your opinion of Yum?

My only experience of it is negative, and not on Ubuntu, so I guess
that's not helpful

>> I would first disable the PPA, then "apt-get autoremove" thunderbird.
>
> That wants to remove Enigmail and then reinstalling Enigmail will be
> an engima. I'm a bit afraid of that route.

Sadly the way the world works if you rely on PPAs I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 21:01, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> My only experience of it is negative, and not on Ubuntu, so I guess
> that's not helpful

If you have the time I'd really appreciate knowing your negative
experiences. I'm about to go down the Yum-on-Ubuntu path, which we
know is very seldom trodden, and if Yum has problems even on it's home
turf then I'd like to know what they are. Thanks.

> Sadly the way the world works if you rely on PPAs I'm afraid.

Yes, that is why I have developed my own backronym for PPA: the
Perpetual Pain in the Butt.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
NoOp

On 08/18/2011 10:45 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 17:38, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On 18/08/11 23:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>> Until yesterday I was using Thunderbird 5 from this PPA:
>>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
>>>
>>> Now Thunderbird was upgraded to version 6 and broke an essential
>>> extension.
>>
>> Which "essential extension" has been broken?

> Virtual Identity. The problem is not one of simply bumping the version
> number, but rather real breakage that prevents me from sending mail.
> Not this Gmail, obviously, but my work mail.

See:
https://www.absorb.it/virtual-id